Harvest drying in garage

{{gwi:52522}}âÂÂ>.

Cross-section of potatoes growing in plastic tub

{{gwi:52524}}âÂÂ>.

Yahoo!

{{gwi:52527}}âÂÂ>.

Comments (7)

• krismast

That's so cool! Congrats on the great harvest!
    Kristopher

• Ohiofem

Great job, Ed! Can you tell us how long it was from planting to harvest? And what soil mix you used? I harvested about 15 pounds from 1 pound of Russian banana fingerlings in a 19-gallon container and 20 pounds of German butterballs from 2 pounds of seed potatoes in a 49-gallon tub. All tasted great, but the potatoes were tiny in both cases. A lot of marble sized spuds. I put them in around March 15 and harvested on August 10 because the tops completely died back. I think I would have had larger potatoes if I could have kept them growing longer.

• PRO
    tapla

Look at you go!! ;-) Strong work, Ed ..... and that's one scary helper you have there!

Al

• jonfrum

That's very nice production!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, SE GA

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Ohiofem, I planted one of the wooden containers in mid March during the heat wave, and the other 2 containers in early April. Not sure how much I gained with the March planting because the weather got cold again and they took forever to come up. So, the one container grew almost 7 months, and the other 2, six months.

The mix was one year old reconstituted 511. Basically last years mix with maybe 1 part fresh pine bark mulch.

I planted the 2 wooden tubs probably a little too dense, and the spuds were smaller than the plastic tub that I planted sparser. Less seems to be more in this case. Also noticed that the potatoes kept growing up in the container and appearing at the surface. I added a few inches of mix a couple of times to cover the showing potatoes and to make up for settling.

• ljpother

Do the potatoes have scab or insect damage or is it just dirt?

• jonfrum

Crowding does produce smaller spuds. Different varieties can take different spacing, so you need to do some research.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).