Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmidgett

need help with flooring in open kitchen/great room

14 years ago
I have a large, open kitchen/great room. I would like to tile the kitchen and hardwood the great room. Since it is an open plan, what do you think about the transition of using both of these in one large room? Do you recommend that or stay with one type flooring throughout? I do have 2 columns separating the two rooms.

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What I would do is use Karndean vinyl planks. Before you are horrified, do check it out. When installed, it is very convincing. It is the ultimate in practicality so perfect for kitchen and beautiful to look at so beautiful for your living space. Could not be easier maintenance either! It stands up to spills, kids, pets and everything else. It has give, so it makes for a comfortable floor when standing preparing food in the kitchen. I really think you would be best to use the same floor in both rooms because your space will flow better and look larger.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with Cynthia. Having a uniform material will create for better flow and it's also easier to maintain. My family and I personally hate cleaning grout on floors in kitchens.

    The Karndean planks are very attractive. Alternatively if you would like to stick to real wood I would suggest selecting a true solid hardwood flooring. Stay away from engineered wood flooring. The key is proper sealing.

    Additionally there is a hardwood density rating called Janka. Here's a list of various hardwoods and how they rate.
    http://www.coastalwfs.com/resources.html

    Best Regards,
    Finn Sigurdsson
    ísARK Studio
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Finn, I'm not sure why you don't like engineered floors! They are more stable especially over wider areas since there is less movement in the planks depending on the season of the year. The substrates are layered with alternating grains and are quite strong. The wear layer on the top can actually be refinished once or twice. However, the finishes these days are so good that the only reason to refinish would be to change the colour. Engineered floors are also a "green" option since the same wooden board can be made into many more square feet of flooring than if it was used as a 3/4" plank.

    I adore Kentwood hardwood--they have some very high-fashion European looks as well as the more basic ones, so I find they make all the other hardwood companies look a bit boring! They have green certification in their sourcing and manufacturing and are a very good company to work with.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Miele dishwashers are supposed to be spill proof!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Check with your local Miele supplier for the exact wording of their guarantee!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I suggest you look into cork for flooring throughout the kitchen adn great room. It has natural mold and mildew repellents, is easy on the feet and legs, sustainable, and beautiful. It can be sealed and is quiet and you are less likely to break a glass or plate if dropped. Please do not use 2 different flooring materials. It will defintely break up the space.
    Regarding Miele....I love them and use them for my clients and myself as well. They make the very best dishwashers, washers, dryers, ovens, vacuum cleaners, and mangles. They also last through several replacements of lesser brands so I think they are far less expensive in the long run. The washers and dishwashers can be connected to only cold water as they heat the water to the perfect temperature specified in each setting. I have never had a complaint on an Miele appliance. :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi kmidgett, personally I would have one kind of flooring especially for open concept spaces. If you have a photo of the room perhaps it would show more clearly the best option for that space.

    Mill Valley Bungalow · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Definitely should be 1 material throughout the space.
  • 14 years ago
    i have a type of tile in the kitchen (white) and hardwood in the family room and i love it. I didn't want hard wood in my kitchen. We have an island one one side that forms the only separation between the room rooms. I'm wondering if you could use furniture placement to form a natural transition line.
    If you decide to go with a faux vinyl hard wood, look into Amtico flooring. They will send you a booklet of samples to look at. Their flooring is great if you want to go that route.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for all the tips!! Great help.