Software
Houzz Logo Print
crystalmt04_gw

Newish sod, weed killer?

16 years ago

Hi there,

We put down new sod in late April this year and I'm wanting to find out when would be a safe time to put down weed killer and maybe get suggestions for what works? We have weeds everywhere, have had them since the grass started growing. I think maybe it was a combination of our yard being nothing but weeds before the sod was laid, and maybe there were weeds in the sod itself.

I read that with new sod you have to make sure it's established (at least 12 weeks?) before you fertilize or use weed killer so my plan was to do it in the fall. I'm guessing September? It's still pretty hot here then, should I wait till it gets a little cooler outside?

In the past, we've used a combo lawn fertilizer/weed killer. Do you think this will suffice or is there something better? I'm also not opposed to something organic if that will work just as well.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (4)