Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_09

impatiens and marigolds in pond

joe_09
10 years ago

i have been using impatiens in the pond for years.i wash all the dirt off the roots and stick them in a damp spot under a rock in the waterfall.the plants get about 3 ft wide and have flowers all summer.i did the same with marigolds in the waterfall and around the edges or the pond.so far they are growing good.just trying to add a little color to the pond.i use the cheap 99 cents cell packs.

Comments (10)

• chas045
    10 years ago

I do similarly with impatiens. I am interested in the marigolds. I will have to give it a try. That almost suggests that regular plants of many surprising kinds might work.

• brownthumbia
    10 years ago

I've read more than once how people use impatiens in their pond but boy, I sure don't have good luck with them. Have no idea what I'm dong wrong but sure with I could remedy the problem. Put some hostas in a few weeks ago and they are thriving. BT

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Are the impatiens in sun or shade? Most of them don't like sun.

• settiano
    10 years ago

I've done impatiens but marigolds?
    On my way to get marigolds!
    Thanks!

• brownthumbia
    10 years ago

Mine are in sun and shade through the day
    Bu at one time someone questioned someone who ha gorgeous impatiens and they were in a lot of sun. Don't understand it.

• squirelette
    10 years ago

Has anybody ever tried Heliotrope like that

• joraines
    10 years ago

Who knew marigolds would do well in water?! Of course, some folks warn not to use this or that plant in wet soil but I sure find that most weeds are happier than clams there so I have begun to try various plants that are not recommended for the pond margins and guess I will learn which will and won't grow well in those conditions. I may give marigolds a try as well. I have impatiens in very damp soil next to the pond and they are thriving so far.

• mckool
    10 years ago

Shalom - impatiens and marigolds do well - with any land plant be sure to keep the crown above the water level - that's the biggest key to success and that is why I use floating islands . I've done well with dusty miller, hosta, blue star(I think) ground cover - this looks like will also float on the water. In the island ths year the trial is with wondering jew, splash, red peace lilly, sweet pot,
    mountain lilly, one blue flower is not doing well, colius, and 2 other types of ground cover (guess I need to make a list to see what grows and what doesn't. they are planted in batting asnd each gets 1/2 stick of miracle grow plant spike at the time of planting. This year, I just shaked off the soil in the pot from the store, wrapped batting around the plant and in they went.

This year, exception being the impatiens and marigolds, all are perenial.

Guess time will tell which ones make it.

• joe_09
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cara rose with the impatien disease some of the plants have not been doing well

• settiano
    10 years ago

I used to use geum avens. They are perennials and have a pretty orange color. I left their crowns exposed.