Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
temw

Pond goldfish food

temw
12 years ago

What do you consider to be the best brand of goldfish food for health, color, etc. for goldfish? And, how important is variety in their diet? I have sarassa, shubunkins, and plan to have watonai when I find where I can obtain them. Your suggestions and advise are appreciated as always.

Comments (11)

• MiMi
    12 years ago

Hello....I have been using Tetra Floating Pond Sticks that I get at Walmart in a big bag, for years and my fish are beautiful and have vibrant colors. I do not have any "fancy" fish.. I have some beautiful fan tails, two that have amazing long long tails and two that are so vivid in color they are almost red/white instead of orange/white. I have never had any sick fish either, and in 8 years I've had the pond, have not had one single fish die. I love the way they come to the top and stick their mouths totally out of the water at feeding time. I think because of feeding them the floating food makes them tamer, so to speak...because they are up around me feeding, not below water level. I can actually reach in and pick them up if I want to. I think I pay about 10.00 for the bag, it's a pretty good size bag too. Hope this helps...

• temw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dbfirewife for taking the time to write. Yes indeed it was helpful.

• temw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pcan, very helpful advice. I appreciate your response.

• temw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mazuri Koi Platinum Diets has been highly recomemded. Stated balanced diet with no supplement feeding necessary. Seems to have been well researched and tested for Koi and goldfish.

• diggery
    12 years ago

Disclaimer...I have not visited pondlady.com NOR do I intend to after reading that excerpt.

pcan, your fish may well be happy & thriving, provided you have a healthy pond environment. HOWEVER, the info quoted above is NOT accurate.

Just saying...you would do well to glean from the EXPERIENCED ponders here as you carefully weigh what you read online.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky. Just trying to offer you some measure of protection.

bless ya's
    ~digger

• pcan
    12 years ago

No offense taken digger. I always like hearing different thoughts on ponding.

Maybe I should have been more specific on the type of pond as well. Over at pondlady, she kind of seems to specialize in natural garden ponds like mine. Where you have a balance of water volume, plants and fish so the pond creates it's own echo system with minor help. Not all ponds are the same from what I have learned and depending on your pond you need to find what works for you.

What are your thoughts on it digger?

• MiMi
    12 years ago

Let me clarify about my pond then... I feed my fish and have from day one. My water is crystal clear. I made my own filter from a small clear crate with the pump and fiber filter in it, then have a thin foam covering that is secured around the edges with a bungie cord. I clean and replace the fiber filter once a month. I have never had problems with the water, it's always clear and algae free. My pond is an above ground pond, built on my deck out of the same material as the deck. It's not small but not huge either. I designed it just to fit the space it is in. It has two fountains going in it, water comes out of one from an antique watering can, the other is a frog on the side. Because of the two fountains there is quite a bit of water movement and with the decorative items I have around it, I have never had plants in it so.. no algae and no plants, I feed. This has just always worked for me. I have a small bistro table and chairs beside my pond, it's my little "staycation" area that is so peaceful and scerene to me. What works for one person will not work for another. I have 7 fish in my pond and they are the same 7 I started with 8 years ago, so it's working for them.
    {{gwi:177118}}

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

AHA!!! you are the one with the cute corner pond. I looked all over one day to show it to someone and couldn't find it.

I love your pond and the way you have incorporated old items in the decorations. Really enjoyable and I can see how you'd love soaking up the positive energy from it.

I use Tetra Pond pond sticks. I don't know if they are any better or worse than others.

When I first got my replacement fish this summer I spent a bit more to get the Tetra Pond special food with flakes, 2 different kinds of sticks, dried shrimpy things etc. The fish ate only the regular pond sticks. Luckily the water striders liked the flakes and shrimpy things and stole them so they didn't go to waste.

The second time I bought just the standard pond sticks and the fish are happy and so am I. No wasted food floating on top. I have crystal clear water in a 160 gal pond. It's not big but it is just enough for my 5 fish and easy for me to take care of (as long as I don't decide to re-build it every other year :-)
    Anne

• pcan
    12 years ago

dbfirewife, your pond is beautiful! Very unique and perfect for your space. I love it and can see how enjoyable your porch must be. Congrats!

• temw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks diggery. I'll take your advise and keep feeding my fish! I appreciate the comments of all who responded.