momdino

Painting the HFGH

momdino

Has anyone done this? Paint the aluminum frame of their HFGH? I love the look of the Rion with its green painted steel frame, but the HFGH is more cost effective shall we say. But I think if I primed the parts and painted before putting the greenhouse together it would be so much more attractive. What do you think?

• wetfeet101b

The HFGH greenhouse frame's color was designed with temperature management in mind. Lighter colors absorb less heat than darker colors so the HFGH aluminum frame works out great in high temperature areas.

There are actually people doing the opposite, painting the Rion GH frame white so as not to overheat the resin in hot regions. (Or they just buy the white version of the Rion GH.
    Also, I have not seen any RION GH frames made of steel or metal. All the ones I have seen so far are made of plastic/resin combinations.

If high temperature is not a problem in your area, then you could prime the frame with an appropriate primer type and add whatever color works out best for you.

• momdino

wetfeet,

thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess I did not consider the amount of frame relative to the amount of polycarbonate to be significant enough to make a difference in temperature inside the greenhouse. but i could be wrong :))

i was completely mistaken about rion's being powder coated steel. it is only on some models and it is the base, not the frame that is steel. big difference.

i still think i will go with the HFGH, painted or not!

• birdwidow

webfeet: I must disagree about the HFGH frame "color". The "color" is simply what bare aluminum looks like when it's new; bright and shiny. Eventually, it will be dull gray in color, which is what all bare aluminum looks like after being exposed to the elements.

The Rion colors are due only to the material. Sunlight fades colored resin, and the darker the original color, the more it will look faded in time, as anyone who has left their colored resin lawn furniture out in the sun over several seasons can attest, and why Rion started offering white, and considering the heat necesary to fabricate the stuff, it certainly wouldn't melt in sunlight.

nc_steph: As you observed; the amount of frame in relation to polycarb is too small to be of any real significance.

It will be your greenhouse, so should please your senses and if you like dark green, go for it. Or, perhaps paint it to match or compliment the color of your house.

However, keep in mind that shiny new aluminum is nortorious for refusing paint, so be very careful about prepping and priming it first, because once it's assembled, you won't want to need to repaint it, and peeling paint looks far worse than dulled, bare aluminum.

• wetfeet101b

>> and considering the heat necessary to fabricate the stuff, it certainly wouldn't melt in sunlight.

That makes sense. And makes me feel better since I am a Rion owner :)
    There have been a few owner reports of the Rion frame warping under hot conditions. But his may be attributed more to a combination of excessive heat and overloading the greenhouse frame. Those frame hooks are just sooo tempting to use.

I was not really worried about the frames melting. I was more concerned with the frames absorbing more light/heat from outside and passing it through to the inside of the GH.

But now that I looked at the HFGH some more, it looks like that will be a non-issue since most of the aluminum is on the outside of the poly panels. It can heat up all it wants and it is unlikely that the poly resin will conduct a significant amount of that heat into the interior.

It will be hard to compare the external/internal heat conduction between the Rion and HFGH since they are completely different materials and design.

• birdwidow

webfeet: I expect you are right about some people overloading the resin frames in Rions. It's pretty tough, but it's still resin, not metal.

The heat question arose when I was thinking of using my Europro steamer to clean the polycarb panels on the non-UV treated interior of my BC GH, and after a lot of debate here on the Gardenweb, I thought about how hot it gets anywhere near an injection moulding operation.

I've been blasting away ever since, and getting both the polycarb and the frames inside of my GH sparkling clean with no chemicals, scrubbing, or mineral deposit residue.

I end up having to wash a lot of towels though. Blast: wipe: repeat. LOL!

• momdino

Thanks, Birdwidow, for your suggestions. I am still considering painting, and will certainly do my research before hand. I can't wait to join you, wetfeet, and the rest of GH owners on this forum. I have learned *so* much about greenhouses here.