Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrplatts

Chainsaw questions

mrplatts
14 years ago

Just a quick question on chainsaw use . . .

I bought an 18" saw from Lowes to take down a couple of trees in my back yard and for future clean up of fallen limbs, etc.

This is my first chainsaw, but I diligently read the manual, read around on the internet & felt pretty confident about starting to saw. Indeed, I made short work of the first tree (a 25ft evergreen) the cuts that took me hours on a similar tree were cake with this saw. Then I started running into trouble.

My chain keeps bucking off the blade (not breaking) -- I'm not touching dirt or catching it on anything except the tree.

Unfortunately the chain no longer rotates on the blade well. It looks like one or two rakers are a bit chewed up.

So, I figured I had screwed it all up, headed out and bought a new chain, vowing not to repeat, checked the tension, which seemed right according to the manual & lo and behold the same thing happens . . . only this time it rotates freely except one of the links seems bound up.

Any insights onto what I am doing wrong or how I might be able to fix these chains? I can't afford to keep buying new chains for this thing. . .

Comments (3)