aprille_gw

What roses are considered edible?

aprille

Hi guys, I know this is off topic, but I figured someone here will know, I posted on the conversations side but no reply as yet and I need to make this today, so I figured I'd ask here as well.

Are all rose petals edible or is there a specific species that are edible? We are hosting a BBQ this Sunday and I just got this cool book with recipes for sangria's and there was one that caught my attention - it is called "Lime and Roses Rose Sangria" and naturally it calls for Rose petals - I'd really like to try this. Any advice is appreciated.

for those of you who might like to try it out too, here's the recipe.

1/2 cup fragrant edible rose petals, rinsed gently

2 lime slices

2 orange slices

1 ounce Cointreau

2 ounces Brandy

2 tablespoons honey, warmed

750ml bottle dry rose wine, chilled

6 oz sparkling wine, chilled

About 3 cups ice cubes (optional)

In a large (at least 2 quart) glass pitcher, gently mix together the rose petals and citrus slices. add Cointreau, Brandy and honey and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the rose wine, stirring gently. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.

When ready to serve, slowly add the sparkling wine, stirring gently with a long-handled wooded spoon. Fill highballs, wineglasses or other decorative glasses with ice cubes if using, and slowly pour the sangria over the ice, allowing rose petals and citrus slices to fall into the glasses.

Serves 4

Enjoy!

Aprille