Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afbryant_gw

Check valve question.

afbryant
9 years ago

I am using a well for my irrigation system. I went to my local county/ city govt. complex to see which backflow preventer I need. The guy told me that I do not need one since I am not using county water.
I think I still would like to use something for my peace of mind. I have a standard in line pvc check valve. Will this serve the same purpose to a lesser degree as the B/P?
Also, will this standard check valve lower my water pressure

Comments (2)

• lehua49
    9 years ago

Depending on the location of the inline check valve that is fine. The purpose is to keep the line full when the pump is off. The backflow preventer is for protecting the city/county water system from contamination. You are not on the city/county system so don't need it which you already know. The check valve should be as close to your pump system as possible to keep the line filled are far as possible. Save pumping time to fill the line each time. Also quieter because less air to squeeze out of your system. Also protects your pump from spinning backwards from draining mainline water. JMHO Aloha

• southerndrip
    9 years ago

There are 2 types of backflow preventers: reduced pressure principal and double check.

Reduced pressure must be used with a public water supply, and double check should be the minimum to protect an aquifer (using a well).

A single check valve may be allowed in your area but does not provide 100% safety. Even 2 check valves in series is better than a single one.