Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacy1061

Wine Storage Question...

stacy1061
11 years ago
As unique and beautiful as the wine storage is, I thought wine was supposed to be protected from UV light?
The Wave House · More Info

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    You're right. I would only recommend this for people who entertain A LOT and keep the bulk of their wine in proper storage elsewhere in a wine cellar. This arrangement is ideal for brief temporary storage to keep bottles convenient for the next party!

This looks like it could be the kitchen of a celebrity's home, someone who entertains on a large scale!
  • Jason Stanley
    11 years ago
    Yes. Direct UV light for a prolonged period is a bad storage idea. If it is temperature controlled and light is limited you're fine.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    I've looked up the company (www.vindegarde.ca) and have bookmarked their site. What a wonderful resource to call on for such a specific market. Thank you.
  • PRO
    KBC Developments
    11 years ago
    The wine cooler in the Wave House has generated a great deal of interest!
    I am certain you will have the opportunity for such a project - it seems like a growing trend.
    Thank you for your interest!
  • Raul Chaava
    11 years ago
    1) Can you advise how is the climate regulated? (i suspect the box above is part of climate control?)
    2) UV-light exposure - if this area is not affected by direct sunlight ? Can you use some kind of UV-proection glazing? Will this make this storage be suitable for moderate storage time without affecting the wine? (several months) ;
  • PRO
    KBC Developments
    11 years ago
    The wine cooler features a modern modular wine storage called the Nek-Rite series, and is cooled using the Cellar Pro 1800xts Chiller.

I am not a wine storage expert, but one would venture to guess this cooler is more for your rotating inventory, and meant for ease of access while entertaining. UV light may be an issue for valuable inventories that are wanting to be stored for long periods. In cases like that, we recommend a cellar usually located on a lower level (ground) where climate and UV light can be carefully monitored.

Our client wanted something impressive!

Billy Carpenter at Vin de Garde Modern Wine Cellars supplied the components used in this installation, and would be able to give you more specific wine storage advice.

See his site at www.vindegarde.ca
  • Raul Chaava
    11 years ago
    Thanks a lot!
    What was estimate budget for this case? (just to grasp the price level)
  • PRO
    KBC Developments
    10 years ago
    $20,000 - 30,000.

www.kbcdevelopments.com
  • Serafin Fernandez
    10 years ago
    Was condensation ever an issue? Was the glass used insulated?
  • PRO
    KBC Developments
    10 years ago
    We have had no issues with condensation and mohair was used to seal the glass openings.

Created to resemble what one might see in a modern restaurant, this wine cooler was placed with accents of warm walnut, steel and glass, blending seamlessly with finishes found throughout this private residence. A very impressive addition to the entrance area of this seaside home, it offers easy access to the wine collection from all living and dining areas. The Modern Nek- Rite system allows the wine bottles to be stored horizontally to feature the labels, simplifying inventory maintenance. With 83 cubic feet, and a capacity for 264 bottles, the CellarPro 1800 xts chiller allows the wine collection to be stored at a cooler temperature than the surrounding spaces in the home.

Project: www.kbcdevelopments.com
    Modern Nek-Rite System: www.vindegarde.ca
    Cellar Pro 1800 xts Chiller: www.vindegarde.ca
    www.cellarprocoolingsystems.com
    Walnut Panel: www.v6b.com
    LED Lighting: www.fawoocanada.com
    Glass Walls + Doors: Horizon Glass email: horizonglass@shaw.ca 604.312.4518

Thanks for your interest!
    www.kbcdevelopments.com
  • Kellie
    9 years ago

Could you tell me how deep the wine wall is? What is the minimum depth for a system like this? We are planning to put something like this in our dining room but need a slim fit approach. thanks!

• PRO
    KBC Developments
    9 years ago

This wine cooler is 16-18" in depth.

Decide on the cooler and wine pegs to determine how to configure and customize your wine cooler to suit the space you have.

Thanks for your interest!

www.kbcdevelopments.com

• Nicole Brady
    3 years ago

Can you tell me where I can purchase / find these wine pegs?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living