Software
Houzz Logo Print
gayanep

Need help with KITCHEN BACKSPLASH IDEAS?!

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
Our kitchen is quite outdated and we have no idea what to do with the backsplash. As you can see, it looks quite hideous... I've attached the photos. Any ideas (preferably with pictures as I am quite new to this and dont understand a lot of the terminology) would be greatly appreciated!! We dont want anything too expensive. We just changed the granite. Id prefer to change the appliances to stainless steel, but thats probably not going to happen. I also wouldnt mind some ideas for the CURTAINS, and FLOORS (floors are currently white tiles which I HATE). THANKS! :)

ps: any other inexpensive ideas to make the place look better would be appreciated. Im thinking of changing the handles on the cabinets to make them look newer.

Comments (66)

  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    A good tile store should be able to give you either free samples or ones you can check out from the store to take home, live with for a week or two, and then return. This what we did. In the case of our subway tile, they gave us a whole panel with about eight tiles on it laid out in the way they would most likely appear so we could hold it up to the wall and really get the full effect.
  • 14 years ago
    thoughts?
  • 14 years ago
    Ok we will inquire about that. Thank you for all your help!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    before you tackle the backsplash how many inches between the granite top and the overhead? Should be 18", if not perhaps move them up to do it right'''''
  • 14 years ago
    Unfortunately we're not looking to do such extensive work. Although im not sure how much work that would take anyway.
  • 14 years ago
    Perhaps I am old school but I would run the granite up to provide a 4" backsplash.
  • 14 years ago
    Here is what we did that I think would work for your kitchen too. The tile is set in diamond shape to add interest but still stay traditional for re-sale. The small insert are just mini tiles from one sheet of glass which seems like is something you are drawn to. The accent pieces in your pic above might end up looking to bulky for the space but I like the travertine look of the other picture.
  • 14 years ago
    Yes I was originally drawn to diamond shape travertine.
  • 14 years ago
    If you decide you prefer the subway tiles instead with the glass insert you liked before here is another pic....Good Luck
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    in reference to moving upper cabinets up ,open doors up,look for placement of existing screws ..... and simply move up # of inches needed to get you to the 18" clearance..it should give you the open look to show off your final "choice" GOOD LUCK!!
  • 14 years ago
    Your granite is really nice, but I'm very distracted by the orange tone in your cabinets. Is there any chance you can paint them white as is pictured above? In my opinion, it would really give it an updated, fresh look, show off your granite and coordinate with it better. White subway tile backsplash would make your kitchen look bigger if you did this. Wood laminate floors would be nice as long as the color ties in with the granite.
  • 14 years ago
    Pictures are not clear. What is the name of your granite? It is a busy pattern, so you need a backsplash which enhances the overall look, but does not compete with the granite. Choose subway tiles with minimum grout lines. I agree the cupboard color does not go with your granite choice. Consider painting them. Sage green, barn red, maybe even medium grey would be better than the "yellow" tone. Depends on the amount of pink in the granite. Any of the three will coordinate with pinkish tones...old kitchens painted white (unless farm/country decor) do not enhance cupboards. They just look like old cupboards painted white. Choose a color. Also you should raise cupboards higher before painting and installing backsplash. Go on Internet for instructions...it is not hard to do. When searching for backsplash take sample of your granite with you or the piece they cut out for your sink. Then you can narrow down to two or three you want to see in your house light. While at tile store you might ask about flooring. However, it sounds like you have limited experience in 'do it yourself', so I might suggest for now you look at peel and stick, floor tiles. But maybe it is only the grout that is discoloured. A scrubbing machine on the tiles and new grout may be all that is needed.
  • 14 years ago
    My suggestion would be to go with a very simple white subway tile. Also, I would have your cupboards sprayed in white paint as well. Any pattern on your backsplash would compete with the counter. The white would be a nice neutral base for any colorful accessories you may want to add.
  • 14 years ago
    Paint the cabinets, they look very outdated. You can buy a little pint of cabinet paint. It's a cheap fix and will do wonders for your space! Then you can buy a pack of metal handles to match the sink/faucet. For the backsplash pick something that brings out the gray color in the granite if you are going to paint the cabinets white. and if you REALLY like the expensive glass tile like the first pic of tile that you posted, just buy a few sheets of it and cut them into strips and run a thin strip (2-3 tiles in height) of that tile along the middle of the other tiles. I bought a foreclosure and have been fixing everything up, which I have the feeling you are doing something similar. If you're in the market for some new flooring, tear up the floor tile with some hammers and pent-up aggression and buy some wood-look laminate from HD...not the flimsy stick kind...get the interlocking kind. Very easy to install once you get the hang of it and screw up a few pieces! And boy is it easy to clean and looks beautiful. I bought a pallet of it for 99 cents a square foot. Most importantly....Have fun!!!!
  • 14 years ago
    Don't waste your money on peel and stick floor tiles, you'll be asking for trouble! If you are going to bother spending money on a granite countertop don't pick low quality materials like peel and stick flooring. Yuck. This is a pic of my kitchen. I did the tile backsplash, all of the flooring, repainted the cabinets, changed the knobs, new Corian countertop, and all new appliances (actually bought the fridge used for $600). Sorry it's not the neatest looking but just wanted to show you that even if you are new to DIY you can learn as you go and make a nice finished product! I didn't know squat about DIY and am just learning along the way! Don't underestimate your abilities.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I would paint all the cupboard doors a dark espresso that would pick up the dark colors in your granite and tile the backsplash with Calcutta marble subway tiles that complement the lighter colors of the granite. They look so light and fresh.

    I would replace the handles with modern brushed chrome ones and I would replace the window dressing you have with a roman blind in a striking black and white patterned fabric.

    Sometime down the track I would consider replacing the dishwasher and any older appliances you have with either integrated or stainless steel ones. That is a big investment and there's no rush, but it would definitely enhance the look of your kitchen.

    As for the flooring, have you considered a wood-look vinyl? There are some very nice ones around these days that look quite convincing.

    Good luck!

    3"x6" Calacatta Gold with Straight Edge - Polished · More Info

    Georgetown Townhouse · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you go with the travertine, make sure you seal it before you grout. As different sealers change the color of stone. I would test the sealer on a scrap piece before applying to entire backsplash
  • 14 years ago
    You absolutely HAVE to paint the cupboards in fact I'm kind of surprised you changed the granite - new cupboard doors would have been my first priority. I'd paint it white and you will find the appliances blend in better. The granite is busy and does not need a busy splashback. Keep it clean and simple - either glass or white tiles. It's going to be expensive to change the floor so I would buy a large inexpensive sisal mat, preferably with a smart 2" border in black fabric, and lay it over the tiles. I'd have a simple pull down holland blind at the window - curtains are too fussy in this space.
  • 14 years ago
    If we were to paint the cupboards white, as almost everyone here is suggesting, im worried about two things: 1, what if we dont like the final product, how much work would it take to go back? Would we have to use sand paper? And 2, lets say we do like it, those with white cabinets here, how easily can you clean these white cabinets as I imagine they get dirty very easily.

    I like the two pictures that vissi87 posted of the subway tiles. I will look into prices for those.
  • 14 years ago
    There is really no going back after painting cabinets, though you can always repaint them another color if you don't like the white. I too think your cabinets would look great in white, but I didn't mention it since you had only asked about the backsplash. As someone with a white kitchen I'll just say I don't find it hard to keep clean at all. But I have a teenager. I'm not sure I'd feel the same with very young children and sticky fingers.
  • 14 years ago
    Shouldnt we keep the cupboards a lighter colour since it is a small space? I like the espresso cupboards and the backsplash in the picture vissi87 provided, but im just worried about how such a dark colour would look in our kitchen
  • 14 years ago
    Personally, I'd go for a light/white paint, not dark. I only like dark, espresso cabinets when the counters and backsplash are white. Otherwise I feel there isn't enough contrast.
  • 14 years ago
    Looking at home depot at the moment and the tiles are a little expensive, 8.99 for a 3 x 6.

    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3x6-bottocino-honed-marble/980936

    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3x6-bianco-honed-marble/980935
  • 14 years ago
    Then don't do marble. Do a simple white ceramic subway tile (which I prefer anyway as it doesn't compete with the granite).
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Deepends on your style but this backsplash we did was with glass tile sheets purchased from Depot for $4.99 sqft. Very clean looking
  • 14 years ago
    My kitchen is similar, if not the same, granite. We also had horrible white tile but have been fortunate that we were able to replace it with distressed wood. We painted the cabinets white (Benjamin Moore "cloud white"), the very little wall space that shows a spicy mustard color (might sound awful but is stunning with the granite), and continued the granite for the back splash because absolutely nothing worked with it. Is there leftover granite from your slab that you can have your 4" backsplash made from it?
  • 14 years ago
    When it comes to the handles, should we go with something traditional, or something a little more "modern" like this.
  • 14 years ago
    Since you already have handles not knobs, you will need to make sure you chose the same size, just bring the old one with you when you go to pick out the new ones :) The above style is nice...be thinking slim and pewter, not bulky at all which could be the case in this pic on the lower cabs. Bulky would be more of a distraction in your kitchen.
  • 14 years ago
    That's a cute idea! My GC just informed me yesterday that beadboard now comes in vinyl which would surely be a better product for a kitchen. Yes, you still paint it as you would wood wainscoat. I'd paint it white and use color on any other wall space which shows.
  • 14 years ago
    Lanie. Where did you find the vinyl beadboard?
  • 14 years ago
    My GC brought it. He expected to find the wood sheets which you cut to size but said this is how it's packaged now. Will find out more when they install the vanity tomorrow and we see if the beadboard is the appropriate height for the piece. He might have to go on a search for the traditional wood beadboard. Will keep you posted as I learn more...
  • 14 years ago
    I see the names "veranda" and "plastpro" on the packaging for the beadboard wainscoating... We haven't taken the vanity out of its crate yet...
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks....I will search the web for that! It just might work perfectly in our beach house!
  • 14 years ago
    Here is a better picture of our kitchen as a whole. Just need to make sure that the consensus on the white cabinets remains
  • 14 years ago
    Gayanep, If it helps take a look at the multiple discussions on oak cabinets, oak baseboards and oak stair rails. The consensus is pretty overwhelmingly in favor of painting. If you're on the fence, move forward with your backsplash and hardware updates and reassess.
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, I still think they should be white in order to tie in with and enhance the granite. Right now there is a disconnect because the undertones are different. Pick a white that will be a close match to your appliances and the white in the granite. If it's off, one or the other will look "dirty". Same with the backsplash (also white). I assume you will repaint the walls and pillar area on the right, and you mentioned replacing the floor. Once you get the cabinets painted and backsplash installed, you will have a better idea about those colors. Just remember to stay in the same color "family" as your granite (not yellows and oranges). Check out Maria Killam's blog for lots of great info about recognizing undertones. Have fun!
  • 14 years ago
    Actually, if you look at the larger picture of gayanep's photo of the granite, it does have some gold-ish, orange splashes in it-look at the lower left of the photo. They're not the dominant color, obviously, but they are there.
    I think it would be pretty if you chose either the backsplash to be an off-white subway tile that matches the granite, and a more "pure" white color for the cabinet, or vice versa.
    Also, now that you have shown more of the kitchen, did you remove some smaller cabinets that were originally over the refrigerator, or maybe the previous owners did? I would remove that wooden piece that still extends over the top of the fridge, as it would look better, I believe, as just an open space over the fridge where you can place some kind of attractive piece or attractive storage in the future. With your cabinet doors with the arched "cathedral" panel, and the diamond paned windows, you already have some very classic features in your kitchen, IMO. I don't know what your own style preference is-these features aren't so overwhelming that they can't blend into a more eclectic, "mixed" style. I do think they give some charm to your kitchen.
    I took a smaller photo with my "screen shot" program to show the colors I was talking about in the granite.
  • 14 years ago
    First I would remove the curtain over your cute window. A white or off white subway tile would look good for the back splash. If you paint your cabinets (and I think they would look great if you did), Sand first, then use a coat of oil based primer and one or two coats of oil based paint. I would spray them. Oil base paint is a pain, but your cabinets will clean up like a dream.
  • 14 years ago
    In order to paint the cabinets, do I absolutely have to sand the cabinets first?
  • 14 years ago
    I'm including a link to a product called Annie Sloan Chalk paint, which is usually used for painting wood furniture and doing special finishes, and doesn't require sanding or priming. I didn't realize until recently that it could also be used to paint kitchen cabinets, with a separate Annie Sloan soft wax painted as a coat on top for sheen. I have not done this myself, so I am not speaking from experience, but I have seen furniture painted with this product that looks fabulous. So here are some links to explore. The paint is not cheap, BTW, but it might be worth it for the easier application.
    Look at the second article on this link (about painting a kitchen):
    http://www.methenyweir.com/
    And then here is the general information about the paint:
    http://www.anniesloanunfolded.com/products/chalk-paint
  • 14 years ago
    You have good eyes, Lucinda. :-) I see what you mean about the goldfish/orange splashes in the granite. The orange tone of the cabinets overpowered it for me in the overall look of the granite. If the cabinets are painted white, it will bring out all these nice colors.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    White cabinets will be the best option if you are a very active person , will keep you in the kitchen a little exta(For a Clean up) lol
  • 14 years ago
    Just found a retailer for Chalk Paint in Ottawa... Unfortunately I dont think they will have it for quite some time as I think they started advertising about it today! I've emailed, so we will see. I really like the look of chalk paint and I think we will go with that. :)
  • 14 years ago
    I do not think that white cabinets will look good with white appliances. If you are switching to stainless appliances, then white/white toned would be ok. See what you think about the cabinets after you do everything else. The hardware pulls and the backsplash may tone down the cabinets. I ended up painting my cabinets as the last step and it was not a problem.
  • 14 years ago
    Keep us posted. We want to see pictures! :-) It will be beautiful.
  • 14 years ago
    This article might help you decide about white cabinets and white appliances: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/white-appliances-find-the-limelight-stsetivw-vs~1494317
  • 14 years ago
    Hmm. I think the biggest thing you could do to make the kitchen look updated would be to paint the cabinets. I'd paint the uppers white (make sure it's a white that looks good with your white appliances!), and the lower cabinets dark gray - a warm gray that goes with the veining in the granite. I tend to like relatively simple and traditional for backsplashes, so I'm not as big a fan of the contemporary glass mosaic stuff (that's just my taste. But I'm just a lowly homeowner, not a designer!). I like plain white subway, as some others have suggested. I also like the marble subway that I think someone has suggested (available here: http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZaq7rZ12kx/R-202273531/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=marble&storeId=10051). As to the floors - you could go crazy and do marble: http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Floor-Tile-Wall-Tile-Tile-Natural-Stone-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar8k/R-202508330/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053. And a friend recently put in ceramic tile in "midnight copper slate" (has the look of stone), but I don't know what brand that is. Have fun with your kitchen!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Leave your curtain.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I'd paint the cupboards white and add beadboard backsplash..I think that would be a nice compliment to that wonderful window... https://www.houzz.com/photos/beadboard-backsplash-phbr0lbl-bl~l_198
  • 14 years ago
    oh ..I forgot to tell you about vinyl snap together wood look flooring we did it in our kitchen and everyone asks about our floors they always think they are hardwood:)...they are wonderful!!!!!! clean wonderfully, do not show dirt and dust...we got ours at Home Depot and I believe it was an Armstrong Images,...you can glue or click together and we did it ourselves:)