Software
Houzz Logo Print
jamiebrinks1

Need help with my ugly kitchen!

11 years ago
We have old 80's kitchen cabinets. Before I met my fiance he decided to "re-do" the kitchen. He went ahead and got granite countertops, which I think are okay. Not my choice but they will work. Also, he went ahead and had them painted black. I feel like our kitchen is a dark hole. Also, he left the door handles in the middle of the door. We would like to fix the cabinets however when we tried getting new they quoted us at 25k for new cabinets and can't guarantee the granite wont crack. We also checked into refacing the cabinets and still that was a hefty 14k quote. Im wondering if we just had them painted and moved the handles we would be happy? What are your thoughts?

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes, repainting the cabinets should help you achieve a lighter and brighter kitchen. A warm white would be a good choice, but also consider a soft green.

    You may want to also add under cabinet lighting as I'm not sure you have good lighting. The cabinet hardware is terribly placed, as you noted. It's hard to tell what your backsplash is. Can you show us a better photo of it please?
    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    Bella Rosa Court · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Hi---lighter cabs (cream) or a lighter floor. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Naperville IL Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Modern Style Cabinets · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Aston Road Butler's Pantry · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    I like the kitchen. Not work 20k to remodel. Yes pulls should never go in middle. It can be fixed. Wood putty sanding and repainting. I would add glass to all or some of the cabs, a lot cheaper. Add lights inside to you can get battery type that stuck to wall. Once you do that should be fine. Your look is very trendy right now.
  • 11 years ago
    Get new pendants.,ones you have too small go a industrial look like bigger brush nickel look. IKEA, lamp plus. For ideals.
  • 11 years ago
    Instead of wood table. Try glass round table, with leather chairs. Pier One carries. Go a color on chairs. To get away from all dark. If you have chandelier over table. Keep it like your pendants a large brush nickel
  • 11 years ago
    Nancy's suggestions are all great - until you move door pulls, kitchen will always look dated. IMO current hardware too modern for style of cabinets and should be replaced with a more transitional style - doors may have to be knobs because does not look like a lot of room on trim for handles. Under cabinet lighting, a great area carpet and lighter bar stools will also lighten up this kitchen a lot.
  • 11 years ago
    What do you think of removing the soffit, getting new uppers that go to the ceiling, and leaving your base cabinets and granite?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would have all my doors and drawer fronts replaced. It would give you the updated look you are going for and be the most cost effective. Dark cabinets, dark floors and dark fixtures do not go together.
  • 11 years ago
    I think your kitchen has a lot going for it. I would paint the cabinets white or off white. White cabinets would look great with existing dark floors as well as existing granite and stainless steel appliances. You don't necessarily need to change hardware but should change placement from middle of the doors. I would also add some color in backsplash, blues and greys, glass & stone combination. And finally I would paint an arctic barely blue color or some type of grey. The cost would be minimal and the change huge. My next kitchen will be very similar to this:)
  • 11 years ago
    I would change some cabinets panels out for glass too:) here's an idea of backsplash.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I am not sure what will make you happy. The only advise I can give you is to not spend any more than you have too, until you can fix it right.
  • 11 years ago
    I like your kitchen.. I would only repaint walls, and then just to miner things like bring in a rug or something to only add color...
  • 11 years ago
    That is not ugly!!!!!!!!

    I would leave it as is,
  • 11 years ago
    I love the idea of getting glass door fronts on all of the upper cabinets and more lighting. Replace your hardware, and paint the kitchen a nice bright gray and viola, new look for less money. And please post after pics, whatever you decide to do
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Nancy Travisinteriors. Cut out the middle panel and replace with glass so you won't have to putty and sand where the door knobs were. A nice colour like green or cream and you are good to go.
  • 11 years ago
    Two simple and inexpensive changes:

    1. Paint the cabinets a light white or cream to match the lightest cream color in the granite countertops.
    2. Move the handles away from the middle of the doors.
  • 11 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful as it is. Really!
  • 11 years ago
    Here is a picture of the current backsplash. Thanks for all the help and ideas! I think my plan is to repainted them a creamy white and move the knobs for now. I would
    Love to add glass to some of them, I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. Just go to a glass store?
  • 11 years ago
    Good news. I think you are making the best move. Fill the knob holes with wood putty & sand, sand, sand. Paint with a very light color if not white. Check out LED lights at Ikea.com. Bulbs last 20,000 hours, best for under counters and for that matter everywhere else. You will be very happy with the hard work ahead of you. It is worth it.
  • 11 years ago
    I think some of the big box stores may change panels to glass, but I'm not sure. It's certainly worth a phone call. Please post pix when your done, good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    I think I would only put glass in the two cabinets on each side of sink...ie 4 doors
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Repaint them a lighter color and move the hardware and fill the holes then put the hardware where you want it.
  • 11 years ago
    I would loose the uppers between the stove and sink wall, and finish with tile, glass fronts and move hardware on the uppers on fridge wall and paint a lighter color color., maybe a light blue/ green/ yellow/ grey. Depending on your style and what goes with the granite.
  • 11 years ago

    I might try painting the walls first. I think that would add a lot of light before you went for something as drastic as changing the cabinet color. To me, the tan color on the walls in coming in darkly. You could also possibly add some glass fronts to some of the cabinets to lighten as well and break up the dark wood.

    Park House · More Info