Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you have an attic?

11 years ago
Do you have an attic in your house? If so, what do you do with it? Is it strictly for storage or do you use it as extra living space?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

My Houzz: Rustic Summer Home in Heritage Community Trinity · More Info
Yes, I do!
No, I don't.
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (43)

  • 11 years ago
    Not sure if ours is an attic or a third floor. The house was built in the 1920s and the attic has two rooms, a bathroom and a large storage area. The storage area has an original built in armoire that we call "Narnia".
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We live in Texas and have a huge attic above our second floor but don't use it for either purposes, only for access to HVAC unit and insulation refills. More than one energy technicians told us not to use it for storage since it might trap heat during summer months and that will cause AC unit to overwork and higher utility bills. Can anyone validate this theory/fact?
  • 11 years ago
    I live in a 1928 Craftsman Bungalow Farmhouse. Our attic is slated to become my quilting studio later this year.
  • 11 years ago
    Lots of insulation and some vents. Little tiny windows at the ends. That's it. Too small to do anything with. Steep old Farmhouse Victorian from 1905 with sloping ceilings in the second story bedrooms.
  • 11 years ago
    A small portion of it is used for storage. I would love to raise the roof/change roof angle and make it liveable space.
  • 11 years ago
    I have no attic, the shed roof is also the ceiling. However with framing the inside areas we ended up with a few open upper cubbies that I call my attic space.
  • 11 years ago
    Most of our attic is just insulation and is unused space, but the area over our three car garage is floored with a real staircase going up to it, and is being turned into a recording studio this year.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Our attic is not used for storage. Our storage is in the basement. Either way you have to deal with stairs!
  • 11 years ago
    My house is on a slab foundation, therefore, the furnace is in the attic. I store my Christmas decorations up there and that's it!
  • 11 years ago
    @Bluezette Do you have any additional pics of that room? I also have a dormer bedroom in a Bungalow that im looking to redo.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't really have an attic, but I have a furnace in my roof
  • 11 years ago
    @jbarlow Here are pictures after a reno project but before we finished the flooring and tore up the staircase carpet. The staircase comes up the center of the house. My sewing area is at the top of the stairs, with kneewall drawers on both sides of the space. There's a pocket door on the right, beside the stairs, to the tiny dormer bath. The tall closet backs up to the stairwell. The wall of short closet doors is opposite the bed and skylights.
  • 11 years ago
    I really like the color, I would not have thought to go that direction but I am not leaning that way. Glad I saw your pictures!
  • 11 years ago
    *am now leaning that direction
  • 11 years ago
    @ jbarilow The first floor is very authentic and original, with stained chestnut woodwork and built-ins including the original kitchen cabinets. I stayed as true to craftsman colors there as I could bear to. (I love craftsman lines and workmanship but find the colors somewhat depressing.) Since there is nothing original upstairs, I gave myself permission to indulge in my favorite color. These photos were taken over 4 years ago and I still smile every time I walk up the stairs.
  • 11 years ago
    I wish they had put in the built ins, not even sure where you can get them now. Would be an easy solution and open the room up by freeing up floor space. I have real wood floors on main level but I fear under this carpet is just plywood, so will end up laying more carpet.
  • 11 years ago
    @jbarilow Our floors are actually the same as the subfloors on the first floor. They're very "rustic" but we finished them with Waterlox and are very happy with the results. You may get lucky under the carpet.

    The knee wall drawers were from a local unfinished furniture store chain. I don't see them on the web site anymore. They aren't super high quality, but fit the budget at the time.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yep, almost went through the ceiling the other day too! Gotta be careful up there ;)
  • 11 years ago
    Am hopeful that the next house will have one.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    But I want one!
  • 11 years ago
    I actually live in my attic in my house in Paddington, Sydney! It's very hot in summer, but it's a lovely room and gets lots of light
  • 11 years ago
    No, I do not, just a crawl space. The home I grew up in did, though. My older brother made it into his bedroom oasis when he was a teenager. My best friend also did and made it into a very cute, very private room. I'm all for attic space! Wish I had some.
  • 11 years ago
    Storage
  • 11 years ago
    No, mine is a single-story home at ground level.
  • 11 years ago
    Our house has an attic that was never used. Imagine our surprise and delight while renovating when we climbed a ladder into the tiny ceiling hole and found the roof pitched to 15 feet in the center! Right now it is storage - I laid a basic floor and sistered several joists. Eventually, I will insulate, build knee walls, dry wall, etc and turn it into functional living space.
  • 11 years ago
    It's going to be the master suite
  • 11 years ago
    My husbands office and a TV room that converts to a bedroom when my son is home from university.
  • 11 years ago

    We have crawl spaces around the upper floor.

  • 11 years ago

    attic on most of the house. it has nothing but pipes, systems, and electrical cables and insulation galore.

  • 11 years ago

    Strictly storage. But it's hard to get into, so I only go up there when I really, really want something. I used to decorate my house for the seasons. All my seasonal stuff was stored and organized in my garage. But when i got married and moved into my husband's house, I had to put everything in the attic. It's so difficult to get up in there, I don't decorate seasonally as I used to. I miss doing that. I don't like seeing the same thing every single day of the year. Well, I do drag things out at Christmas. But that's it.

  • 11 years ago

    bcrafty, on a good day go up and sort your decorations, make a box of your favorite non-christmas and put them some place really easy to reach, at least you'll decorate some.

  • 11 years ago

    the main part of our house has attic space big enough for 2 bedrooms and a full bath. the L has a much smaller attic with a giant beam across 2' off of the floor that has held the house together for 145 years, between ducking for the nails coming through the roof and climbing over the beam.... long term storage only.

  • 11 years ago
    Ours is for storage.
  • 11 years ago

    ours is finished but we are really really bad. lots of unboxed items from our move 12 yrs ago! 1/3 is my 'closet' 1/3 is an office and the other third is junk all over the place in boxes.


  • 11 years ago

    We have a small attic space that is accessed from our master bedroom. Headroom is low so for now we use it for our daughter's playroom (and my reading nook).We could add a couple of dormers and skylights to create more headroom, but we need the reno money elsewhere in our home right now!


  • 11 years ago
    I wish I had an attic I could use - I'd turn it into my play room (classic art, crafts, sewing, etc.) - but alas - despite two attics - not one has a ceiling you could stand up in. The largest one is accessible by drop down stairs block access to the master suite when open and I can't picture a place you could take away from the layout to put one in elsewhere.

    My grandfather had drop down stairs - but an attic you could easily stand up in with plywood floors - I always thought it would make a great get away.
  • 10 years ago

    We have an attic that is for storage but has turned into a huge catchall and a big mess that needs sorting for donation or recycle.

  • 10 years ago
    It's just for storage, but I'd love to insulate and fix it up.
  • 10 years ago

    Only have a crawl space. Had to use two orange plastic sleds...one to lay on & one w/tools & parts... to "slid" around using the rafters as "pushers" when exhaust fans were added.

  • 10 years ago

    we have a massive attic that has a set of permanent stairs up from a closet in our bedroom. the house is 162 years old, the handrails are the same as on the first floor, so I think it was used for sleeping or servants or something like that. sadly, it is full (not completely, thank goodness) of anything we take up there. I would love to finish it off in some way, but my husband says we don't need more space, and I know he's right. this house is built along a federal style outside, but then the inside looks like the farmhouse it really is. it's all very strange! I'm very grateful for the attic, and envy those of you who have finished yours off in some way. but I really am glad for the storage space. it would easily hold 2 large bedrooms and a hefty size bath. but I think we'll leave that to the next folks!

  • 10 years ago

    We have a walk up attic bedroom that my son uses. It's big enough to be a small efficiency apartment. He loves it! He has his double bed in there along with a nightstand, bookcases, love seat from our old house, entertainment center with his large TV and gaming systems, and his PC.

  • 9 years ago

    We have a huge attic that isn't even used for storage. It is big enough to build in another bedroom and walk-in closet, complete with a door off of the hallway, but having to run HVAC and electrical on top of insulation, studs, drywall and skylights, we would probably never recoup the cost whenever we sell. We have plenty of space for the two of us as it is but it would be a cool project if we had the funds to throw at it. I'd make it a giant art studio!