Software
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_behrent

How many share my bathroom pet peeve?

14 years ago
What I hate more than anything in a bathroom is the toilet facing the shower/tub where I have to look at it. My toilet is walled off from the tub so I don't see it. Do you share this "pet peeve" with me?

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    worse to have it face the entrance door, or backed up to a picture window
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, those are bad too. When we remodeled our bathroom, not only did we move the toilet, tub and sink areas, but we moved the entry door! The door looked into the dining room, which is right by the picture window, with the neighbors across the drive being able to look in on it all, LOL!
  • 14 years ago
    My pet peeve is when they don't put the toilet in it's own closet. Who wants to see it all the time? Especially in the master.
  • 14 years ago
    You can be sure that isn't going to be my design! lol It's great for someone who feels comfortable but not for me!
  • 14 years ago
    No giant mirrors behind toilets, please.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Nice topic. Been considering this in designing my new house....also to respect the wife's privacy I would want some sort of screen between both shower/tub and toilet in case we're in there together, but the room is only 10' wide and another wall partition would make it look so much smaller.
  • 14 years ago
    You know what I don't enjoy? Sliding barn doors or pocket doors on the WC. No thank you. :)
  • 14 years ago
    I don't like when the toilet is facing a mirror so you get a great view while you are sitting there. :^p But then, opposite the sink with mirror is sometimes the only place for it, tucked in behind the tub wall.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I'll admit feeny, I laughed out loud at the picture you posted. The space is very client specific (single? physical limitations?). I agree, tuck the toilet away, don't place a mirror across from it. Trinidadralph, there are so many options, your partition doesn't have to be drywall, even a cool glass panel could give some privacy while letting light through.
  • 14 years ago
    Talk about celebrating the "throne". I hate toilets. No matter how much you clean them, they're still going to get "cooties" on them that I can see. And I don't want to see those "cooties" from the tub, especially. I like where my toilet is. When I'm sitting on it, I can't see myself in the mirror across from me (too high). I also have a fan right above it. And there is a high window next to it. No spray air freshener is needed, ha ha! The only thing I have to be careful of is the neighbors getting "wind" of anything if I leave the window open. But I only have to worry about that in the summer, LOL!
  • 14 years ago
    trinidadralph - we live in a small house. Our main bathroom is only about 8' x 8', yet we've got a tub (w/shower) sink area with lots of cupboard & drawer space, a towel cabinet and the toilet is tucked behind the tub where a wall only slightly wider than the tub goes clear to the ceiling. The arrangement is more key than the size of the space! It all works well!
  • 14 years ago
    @ Rebecca Behrent - its always a challenge making small spaces work. For all that you have put in there...kudos to you girl! The bathroom area for the master that I have planned is 16'x10' but it would include closet space and everything else...to allow for a more minimalist bedroom decor.
  • 12 years ago
    feeny, Oh I so agree with you. If I want the bathroom and bedroom to merge so I can see and hear my hubby's 3 am trips to the bathroom; I will put my sleeping bag IN the bathroom.

    Elizabeth, what is worse than a sliding door is a slat accordion fold door or fabric showercurtain like doors, that are not exactly eyeproof.
  • 12 years ago
    Mine faces the bathroom door. I live alone and still have to close the door (or leave the lights off) each time because the door faces a big low window. What was I THINKING???
  • 12 years ago
    Same thing here - have a walk thru closet and the toilet is in direct line with both doors and the bedroom window - keep drawing plans to change - then acknowledge expense and label the plans fantasy.