Software
Houzz Logo Print
becky

Type of Sumac?

14 years ago
Hi, is this a Staghorn Sumac? If not, do you know which kind of sumac it is? Thanks! Becky
Lori Scott Landscape Design · More Info

Comments (5)

  • 14 years ago
    Yes, that is Staghorn Sumac. Was used by Native Americans for medicinal purposes (root bark and fruit). There is also a Poison Sumac. The Poison fruit spike hangs down as opposed to the Staghorn which stands up as in the picture...
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you so much; I'm working on a story about sumac and I'm rusty on being able to tell one variety from another.
  • 14 years ago
    My pleasure...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi Becky, it is Rhus typhina. I like this small tree in certain situations, only where it is rarely irrigated and where the root zone will not be disturbed (to limit suckering somewhat.) I like the "tropical" look to the foliage and the bare trunks. It attains its height quickly, then doesn't get taller. Although it can be invasive in some areas, that isn't a problem in the Pacific Northwest.
  • 14 years ago
    That's correct Rhus Typhina is the taxonomic name...Common name is Staghorn Sumac...Beautiful tree. People here in N.J. consider it more or less a weed. It's fairly common in the woods here but have never seen it used as a cultivated plant. Kind of surprised me (in a pleasant way) to see it used as an ornamental...Had never thought of it in that light...