mark4321_gw

Propagating Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterflies' from offsets

mark4321_gw

Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterflies' is unusual among the "mother of thousand" type plants in that it usually spreads very little or not at all from the pink offsets or plants that form on the leaves. However, for me this is not the case when I grow the plant under lights. Plants grow everywhere, in any pot where the offsets fall. I wanted to follow up and see if growing from the offsets could be reliably used as a method for getting new plants.

Presumably the fact that the offsets of this variegated hybrid Kalanchoe are pink is itself the reason for the fact that the offsets normally don't grow. They are pink because they lack (much) chlorophyll. Thus like any such product of a variegated plant that lacks chlorophyll, they simply die.

Inside, I grow under 24/7 lights. If an offset has a tiny bit of chlorophyll, perhaps the continuous light gives it a chance of survival. At least that's my guess.

I wondered whether the offsets inside were somehow different, so I decided to start with offsets from outside. Plus, my mom has a plant outside that produces lots of offsets. I gave it a shake...