Software
Houzz Logo Print
wmrosman

Help with our "Tutoring Room"

14 years ago
We just painted the walls, bought the marble top Knoll table, purchased the velvet chairs....now what to do with the chest (paint, lacquer, color???), and the walls??? Any help would be great.....THANKS!

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago
    I was trying to determine the accent color and also thought of a goldenrod yellow...but like your suggestions....thank you! Any other suggestions?
  • 14 years ago
    What is a tutoring room, please? It sounds like a study but looks like a dining room...
  • 14 years ago
    It is just a room in our home where Tutoring takes place for our kids...it is on the second floor near their bedrooms....and I'm interested in any suggestions on decor! Thanks!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    This is a lovely sophisticated room. I would suggest that you enlist your children to help select some of the room decor so that they will enjoy the space and look forward to spending time there. They might welcome a comfy chair for quiet reading or studying or a larger workspace for school projects.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    The room looks sophisticated and quite lovely. However, I am wondering how old your children are.

    This room, so far, would better speak to an older group of individuals so anything else you put into may need to be geared more towards young people.

    I am not suggesting that it be decorated like a playroom in bright distracting colors, but am implying that you may want to consider incorporating colors or graphic art that motivate and stimulate the mind in preparation for learning.

    Consider decorating the walls with a collage frame filled with family photos, large framed world map (opt for a colored one instead of the old antiqued versions), or encouraging wall decal phrases with famous scholarly quotes. Google the decals or look on Ebay.

    There are many different size posters with people doing extraordinary feats with positive captions on them. For example, a beautiful picture of someone climbing a mountain and the caption reads something encouraging like " anyone can reach the top". You can purchase the posters and frame them inexpensively yourself.

    What a wonderful idea to designate a quiet space for your children to learn. Just keep in mind that a room with this purpose should have a vibe that welcomes the younger mind and spirit.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It is indeed a lovely room, and since you mentioned a lacquer finish for the chest, I think that could be an exciting way to go. Can you please tell us the brand and name of the color on the walls?
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Fantastic room so far and I like the wall color. I have the exact same wood color (pine?) but my walls are just a little lighter. I also have a chest boldly painted ping pong table green. It is fun and contrasts agains the grey nicely. In another room I painted one lobster color. Have you considered staining the chest to almost match the chair legs? If you want to keep it the same color, maybe look at Restoration Hardware for some ideas. On top of the chest I would put an accent lamp with a black shade lined in gold to match your mirror frame. Or a bright green fake plant with a modern shape. Or both. Keep the bland color globe on a lower table so the kids can use it.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Lovely room , but putting a mirror in there will be a Distraction ?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I don't think it will be much of a distraction. It certainly fits in nicely with the other furnishings and would be lovely if it reflected the chandelier.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn , what about Feng Shui ?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I'm not a follower of Feng Shui.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    The Ba Gua Mirrors are often used in Feng Shui. Mirrors can be used to repel sha, activate stagnant chi, and magnify positive chi. In decorating mirrors are often used to deflect attention, create the illusion of depth, create symmetry, and draw in pleasant views. Always be aware of what the mirror is set up to reflect. They reflect light very well and bring more light to an otherwise dark room.

    I feel that for a tutoring room you need more energy and color than you have currently. Painting that timber chest a vibrant color will go a long way in bringing MUCH needed colorful energy to a room that will serve the intended purpose. You want your kids to be alert and awake while being tutored but not distracted.

    The table does seem rather small but without knowing the shape and dimensions of the room I hesitate to make suggestions other than if it's in the budget and it fits the size and scale of the room, consider a table with a larger surface area with a pedestal base(bigger base than the one you have).
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi , great job so far with your room . The overall look of the wall color , the timber detail and the fresh contrasting white is quite stunning and combined with the light fitting , they create a strong elegant yet homely feel . Well done !
    However , when i look at the overall room, I really don't think the "lightweight / kitchen" look table you have chosen quite works in the room . The tables pedestal is very thin and the thickness of the table top is too "lightweight " to work with the rest of the room or the chairs . Also a marble top is very cold under your bare arms and elbows , whereas a timber (maybe dark timber or black ) table would be much more comfortable to work on .
    I would also have maybe considered a square table ( still with a centre pedestal ) for the room , and possibly a long pile floor rug under it to add horizontal texture , and in a plain dark color similar to the walls , to add further to the cosy and elegant style you have already created. The long pile on the rug would also be great to massage your kids shoeless feet over whilst being tutored or studying . The floor rug would also help to anchor the table and chairs into the overall room visually .
    A couple of symmetrical wall sconces throwing light upwards , might also add to the ambience and mood of the room at times when the chandelier is a little too bright for tired eyes.
    If you darken the table color, then the table no longer competes visually with the timber chest , so the chest can stay in the soft timber tones that it currently is in , and it might appear more as a highlight art piece in the room .
    Good luck and congratulations on the beautiful room you have created .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I adore your Saarinen table. When I was a student at Vassar College, I lived in a dorm designed by Eero Saarinen and the lounge had a number of those tables with the tulip chairs. It's a classic table and I like it in your room.