Software
Houzz Logo Print
ckerst

Help me improve our entry

14 years ago
Looking for ideas for improving this entry. Front yard is great, but entry is small and dark.

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hi,
    I would consider a new glass and wood front door. It will bring in natural light to your entry and add an elegant touch to your house. Here is a link to a door I designed for a renovation project close to Seattle:
    FINNE Architects · More Info

    --Nils Finne, AIA
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you're open to expanding, it looks like you have some space for creating more elbow room... which means a renovation. Since your garage juts out and your entry is set back, I'd be very very inclined to push your entryway forward. You could even create a curved front entrance that attaches to the front corner of the garage on one side. Then either (1) take Finne's ideas on the door and repeat more vertical windows on the curved walls or (2) use "wave style" glass block (probably more economical) to create narrow vertical windows between studs that encourage plenty of light, still gives you privacy, and is structurally a very solid wall & it's virtually impossible to break into a glass block wall (in which case you might want a solid door w/o windows painted in a welcoming color ). I can't say enough about how wonderful a great big entryway is, which we have in our own home. People keep visiting in the entryway because we can fit 10-12 people in it. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of our big curved entryway to show you. I'd recommend pruning your "fall colored" tree severely or removing it entirely or replanting it somewhere else because it's so close to the house that it's shading, darkening, and partially obstructing view to the front door... which will get worse as the tree grows and expands. Looks like a southeast/southwest exposure based on the direction of the shade I'm seeing, so any trees close to the house will limit desired light because they'll shade the front. What are your thoughts on these ideas?
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You have a beauticul house and yard. Paint your entry a lighter color and the door in white or a light shade of green.
  • 14 years ago
    I think your entry is beautiful. Landscaping with larger more significant plantings in area next to garage would bring balance ance beauty to the space. Possibly a small decorative tree with a twisting trunk.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    What an adorable house! I think the entry looks great, love the door. How is the lighting? Could you improve on that? Would painting the ceiling a soft blue be possible? This door is stunning with mirrored panels.
    Can it really be the front door? · More Info