Software
Houzz Logo Print
mykole

Sagging floating Shelves =(

14 years ago
My recently installed floating shelves are sagging. I don't want to restart the project or take them down. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Should I just buy some shelf brackets that match and install them in the middle of the shelves? They won't be floating shelves anymore, but at least they won't sag.

Comments (27)

  • 14 years ago
    Michael! Are you kidding me???? You poor thing. See if you can find a beautiful wooden bracket and paint it to match the wall color, install it in the middle. Or, lighten the load on the shelves. We just talked about your shelves yesterday, remember???? I feel for you!
  • 14 years ago
    Oh, also, my hubby and I are creating our own mantle, and all the wooden brackets we found were too small, so we simply glued two together to get the impact we were looking for. You could try that, too.
  • 14 years ago
    i know! these shelves are putting me through hell! I'm just going to find brackets that match with the shelf colour. They were sagging before I even put stuff on them. I think they were just poorly made shelves. The holes for the brackets to go in were bigger than they should be, so it's not a tight fit.

    I just don't know if I should put brackets under the sides of the shelf or just one bracket in the middle of the shelf. I think both ways would be good support and fix the sagging, so it's more of a design choice.
  • 14 years ago
    Perhaps you could go to an Ace Hardware store or Lowes and ask for assistance and ideas.
  • 14 years ago
    they are wood. Would that really work? Do I just fill the holes up with toothpicks and then see if it's tighter? I'm starting to like the idea of getting extra brackets. My bedroom is a black/white/light blue theme and I kind of want to get wooden shelf support brackets and paint them light blue for a cool contrast between black shelves and light blue brackets. But that is extra work!
  • 14 years ago
    I thnk what you really want are shems? That is what little pieces of wood are called. perhaps you should patch the holes, and start over? Did you use the correct hardware in the holes - did you install fly-screws which open when they are put into the wall so the screw(s) don't fall out? Perhaps the screws were NOT big enough for the weight and balance of the shelving? If your walls are sheetrock then did you use sheetrock screws? Some with the little rubber thingy's that go over the screws into the sheetrock screws? hardware is VERY important here. :-)
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, toothpicks will work. Dip them in a little white glue, stick them in the too big hole. I've done this several times and it's never failed! Try it, you have nothing to lose at this point. If you don't like it you can always install brackets.
  • 14 years ago
    I used the anchors that open that came with the package of the shelves. I used pretty much everything the packages gave me. This project has been going on wayyy too long. I'm going to just put brackets in the middle of the shelf at the bottom. I'm really not in the mood to be taking out shelves and starting over. School starts for me next week so I'll have very limited time.

    However, I am intrigued with this toothpick idea
  • 14 years ago
    Michael, you know how doors tend to sag after a while? Sometimes it's just because the wood holding the screws has contracted (weather, opening/closing, etc.) The toothpick trick is a great cure for that.

    Currently I have 4 major projects going on, if you don't include the kitchen. I swore I would NOT start another project until I finished the others. But I did.........
  • 14 years ago
    I was thinking of something like this for the bottom middle of the shelves. soemthing to raise them up a bit so they won't sag.

    However, I donno if it will work cause they have be installed into the wall too and really, to stop the sagging I need support at the end of the shelf. the long shelf I installed sits on my bed's headboard so there is no sagging.
  • 14 years ago
    That will work, but depending on the length of the sagging shelf you may need 3 of these - both ends and the middle.
  • 14 years ago
    That's what I was thinking. Some of the shelves are sagging badly, and the shelves is about 60 cm long (23 inches) so I might need three. Or two on the sides since that's where the brackets inside would be...or maybe just one in the middle if there's already brackets on the side. Ahhhh I donno anymore! Once I buy these, I would have to paint them anyways. More work!
  • 14 years ago
    Well, in the mean time, don't put anything valuable or breakable on them ok?

    23 inch shelves should not sag, that's only two feet. I'm wondering if these were not defective to start with. You don't by any chance have a bowling bowl, or weights, on them do you?
  • 14 years ago
    They were sagging before I put anything on them. As I said, I really think it's cause they were poorly made, most likely because the holes for the brackets were too big for a non-tight fit. They were only $15 at JYSK. I get what I paid for. But oh well.
  • 14 years ago
    Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.
  • 14 years ago
    This is what my bedroom looks like so far with the shelves and everything. Sorry, the first is very blurry. Once I paint the brackets light blue, it will give more fun/character to the shelves and walls.
  • 14 years ago
    Very creative! Michael, when you said sagging, I thought sagging in the middle. These are just not level. Go to Homey Depot and get larger wall anchors, that may be all you need.
  • 14 years ago
    oh no i meant like the shelves are hanging away from the walls and not perfectly aligned to the wall. Like I said, I'm not really wanting to take anything out. I'm just going to get brackets to support the end. The holes underneath the shelf were when I accidently put them on upside down hahaha
  • 14 years ago
    hahaha! I did that too!!!!
  • 9 years ago

    This problem was bugging me too, and after a year of staring at saggy shelves i decided to go radical. If mine were not up against a wall I would have put in a metal L bracket and painted it the color of the wall. Once the books are in, you won't see it.

  • 9 years ago
    I am having this problem too but my shelves are between 2 cabinets that are made of pressboard so I can't screw into them to add a side support. Any ideas for how to fix that?
  • 9 years ago

    HAVING SAME ISSUE AND I HAVE "LIGHT" COLLECTINLES ON SHELF. SO FAR one shelf out of five floating shelves sagging....large brackets will ruin the look?

  • 9 years ago

    I am with you all. Sagging away from the wall on the top part of the shelf. Soooo frustrating

  • 8 years ago

    I have the same problem as Michael. Out of five shelves, one is sagging slightly away from the wall just like Michael picture above. The mounting base is secure and there is not anything on it yet. The other four are perfect and I don't want to use a bracket on this one. Charleee - f this toothpick idea will help can you explain a bit more about how to do it?

  • 8 years ago

    This is for Michael Manchester...how did you affix those “brace” pieces of wood to the wall?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    i use the "toothpick trick" for all types of common drywall issues. Most often, when wall anchors pop out on towel bar when kids pull towel too hard (gee that never happens to anyone else does it?) A painter/handyman taught me. Break the toothpicks into short bits about the depth of drywall, put a light coat of Elmers glue around the pick bits, and stuff them in the hole till no more fit. It's a little messy and tricky to not push them through the drywall, so take care to avoid much of that, no harm, but also doesn't help. Just wash your hands and wipe the glue off the wall before it dries. Let it dry a day or 2, and that spot is now like new wood. You can screw right into it like a joist and rehang your hardware. If you do it well, it's more secure than the anchor was. I assume for this use case, she is suggesting you line part of the opening with enough toothpicks to tighten it up. Trick will be getting just the right amount in there that you can still get your dowel into the opening when done. I imagine you would line the bottom of the opening first, attempting to tip the shelf up over them also.