0

The Turrach Expedition 2011

mesterhazypinetum
September 26, 2011

Pinus cembra � Turrach Expedition 2011

Online report with the photos of Lenka & Milan Simanek and Frantisek Borovec CZ.

The Simanek Family spent the summer holidays in Turrach, Southern Austria in July. They knew of course, that on the sorrounding mountains the ancestors have found some Pinus cembra brooms. Franz Etzeltorfer AUT, Ladislav Krejci CZ and Frantisek Borovec CZ discovered first this area in 1999, and returned back that time with 5 beautiful brooms.

The Turrach over 1700 meters owns very old natural cembra forests. The old specimen are far elder than 100 years in an undisturbed forest.

Now in 2011 the Turrach gave us new gems. After the summer discovery the good old company returned back with new hunters, as the Simanek family CZ and Zdenek Novak CZ.

As usual, the fresh brooms arrived on the 11th September to Professore Malik in Ceske Budejovice, who started the grafting. That time I was documenting there the austrian and czech conifers in the Malik Gardens, as Zdenek came home with the big black sacks.

Malik�s new brooms Mesterhazy & Malik photo

I guess that the Professore became to a Father of Cembras, as he grows about 150 Pinus cembra cultivars, the greatest sortiment of cembras ever seen. This time he stayed at home to organize the new cembra plantations for the future, and of course to prepare the graftings of the newcomers. I felt myself very lucky to enjoy conifer history happenings from inside.

In some years we can meet these new beauties, which are so different as they can. Green and blue, very small, dense, spreading or fastigiate, wonders of nature.

The Turrach up to 2200 meters Frantisek Borovec photo

On the Turrach Mountain AUT Frantisek Borovec photo

Summer discovery 2011 by Milan & Lenka Simanek

Lady Lenka and Pinus cembra �Mozart� Milan & Lenka Simanek photo

Pinus cembra �Svaty Vaclav� Milan & Lenka Simanek photo

Pinus cembra �Si-moon� Milan & Lenka Simanek photo

Pinus cembra �Vltava� Milan & Lenka Simanek photo

Vltava (Moldau, Moldva) is the national river of the czechs, symphonies were written to her by Smetana, a czech music compositor.

Pinus cembra �Gloria� Milan & Lenka Simanek photo

Gloria is not yet captured, she must wait a bit time to be reached.

September harvest with the company

Pinus cembra �Milka� Frantisek Borovec photo

Pinus cembra �Mozart� Frantisek Borovec photo

Pinus cembra �Si-moon� Frantisek Borovec photo

Ladislav Krejci, Milan Simanek and Frantisek Borovec posing with the harvested Moon-like broom of Milan.

Milan Simanek and Zdenek Novak

Pinus cembra �Svaty Vaclav� Frantisek Borovec photo

Ladislav Krejci and Milan Simanek before the nice old broom, which is named after the Holy king of the czechs, St. Vaclav.

Pinus cembra �Vltava� Frantisek Borovec photo

Facts for the bibliography

Pinus cembra �Gloria�

2011 Milan & Lenka Simanek CZ

Found on the Turrach Mt. AUT as a broom.

Pinus cembra �Milka�

2011 Zdenek Novak CZ

Pinus cembra �Mozart�

2011 Milan & Lenka Simanek CZ

Pinus cembra �Si-moon�

2011 Milan & Lenka Simanek CZ

Pinus cembra �Svaty Vaclav�

2011 Milan & Lenka Simanek CZ

Pinus cembra �Vltava�

2011 Milan & Lenka Simanek CZ

Zsolt

• coniferjoy

Szolt, great pics of a great adventure!
    Next year at the "witches' broom" meeting I hope to collect some of these new grafted babies :o)

• firefightergardener

Someday I may 'try' a broom hunting trip through the local mountains here. Full of Abies procera, abies lasiocarpa, Tsuga mertensiana and other great conifers. I won't be climbing too high on trees but it would be neat to discover even a few brooms and get them to Bob Fincham or another one of my friends who is experienced with grafting.

Thanks for sharing.

-Will

• whaas_5a

What do you guys do with these brooms? Do you graft every broom to determine unique characteristics, growth rates or habits? If you then identify something new or unique do you then name it?

Alot of times when browsing various cultivars I say to myself isn't that same as such and such? I wish more cultivars would own a description that outlines its uniqueness compared to other similar cultivars. Even if its as simple as growth rate.

• tunilla

Nice!
    Cultivation Q. : Is it true that P. cembra doesn't like summer heat? I have been advised against planting these over here, but I have seen some nice specimens at higher altitude. T.

• mesterhazypinetum

Be careful Edwin, plant them on the northern side of the house in Holland.
    Zsolt

• gardener365

Zsolt, like always you mystify us with these threads.

I will call to all W.B. hunters that my place is an excellent choice for propagation matters ;-) Send them here! Be hasty in accepting the gems and not the rocks. This is good advise.

In the case of P.cembra I may break my own rules of the game! There are not enough cembra's floating around to play fairly in those regards.

Dax

• sluice

Very enjoyable! Thanks to the AUT and CZ crew!

• mesterhazypinetum

Dax, Nate,
    if you collect cembras, it will be a good decision. Overall hardy, likes the windy cold in Illinois and less rain in Colorado. Handsome and lovely wilds.

Zsolt