Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Hemerocallis Daylily Part 2

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Dang, I was too late for the Summer Sale from Cedar Ridge Gardens, so therefore I ordered from Beachwood Dayliy in BC instead. First time ordering from them, so far their customer service is wonderful!

This is what I ordered, should be in next week so that I can get them planted asap.

BARBARA MITCHELL

CHICAGO RUBY (Gift Plant)

FOOLED ME

HIGHLAND LORD

JANICE BROWN

KWANSO

MIGHTY SHOGUN

RUSSIAN RHAPSODY

Yeah, I have to buy something with this birthday cheque from my MIL ;)

So you gals who ordered from Cedar Ridge, did your orders come in and how are they?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Beachwood Daylily

Comments (123)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I finally happened to stumble upon it. It looks like a husband and wife operation, Jeff & Elizabeth. All I can say is WOW to their daylilies! They are in Florida, so hardiness for some may be a issue.

Take a look at Blissful Blackberry Pie.......YUM!!

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

That's the most gorgeous colour!! Sigh... I'm just happy when the daylilies in my garden bloom, let alone notice what colour they are. Double sigh...

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

OK...this thread got me looking at Floral and Hardy's web site again. I sent in a quick, small (?) order because I noticed that March 4 was the deadline for a 15% discount. It was still March 4 here when I sent the order, even though it was March 5 down east at Floral and Hardy. :-) I hope I made it under the wire, anyway. Guess I'll find out.

Just in case anyone's interested, here's my list:

Ed Murray
    Litte Red Spring Song
    Red Volunteer
    Rosy Returns
    Stella de Oro (I've got lots of these, but I'm pretty sure they're all tissue culture...I want to try one more time for a decent plant.)
    Ruffled Ruby
    Rocket City
    Ice Carnival
    (Plus one Heuchera: Florist's Choice)

That's got to be it for orders, until I can get into my garden and do some editing. :-)

I just noticed that most of the above daylilies are red. Hmmmm.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Hopefully you did get your order in time for the 15% off. It sure does make a difference! Oooo, that Stella and Ice Carnival are just going to pop out from amongst all the other reds! It took a few years for my Ice Carnival to settle in and start blooming, but when it did it sure took my breath away. Mind you, it's planted fairly close to a large spruce, so I'm sure it's having a tough time getting any water.

• catt_2006
    17 years ago

I have a silly question about the daylily. I don't have any and would like to get some this spring. My question is when it gives the hieght of the lily does that mean from the bottom of the plant to the top of the flower bloom or are they just talking about the foliage?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Hey, no question is silly! And your question is a good one, and I'm not 100% sure, but I've always assumed that they only meant the foliage, and that the flower scape can, and often does, grow taller than the leaves.

Frankly, I'm more shocked that you don't have any daylilies in your garden! You definitely need to fix that. ;^)

Laurie

• northspruce
    17 years ago

No, it's the approximate height of the scape (the hard stem that holds the flowers) from the ground to where the flowers come out. The leaves tend to arch, therefore their height is not really relevant. Sarry Laurie ;0)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Ooops.......I stand corrected...*blush* :)

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I have placed a couple of orders so far.
    From Cedar Ridge I ordered:
    Always Afternoon
    Daring Dilemma
    Designer Jeans
    Elderberry Candy
    Moonlight Masquerade
    Trahyta
    Wineberry Candy

Floral and Hardy
    El Desperado
    Ruby Spider
    Orchid Corsage
    Newberry Festival
    Real Wind
    Sabine Baur
    I'm still looking at a couple other places yet. Who knows what I'll order yet.

Shelley

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Laurie, hey don't worry about it, I didn't even know how to snap my snapdragons... *blush* tee hee.

Shelley, nice picks!! Always Afternoon is one of my faves, and I totally want Sabine Baur too. I didn't believe it so I looked up other pictures and it really is that nice.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Very nice daylily selection Shelley! Are you going to plant them in amongst your roses, or will they be in their own garden?

Gillian, it does make sense now that I think about the height of dl's. I had quickly checked my list and for the first few at the top of the list, the height was pretty much the same as what I remembered the foliage as being. But of course, some flower closer to the leaf height, and then others tower above, like Jersey Spider at 4'.......there's no way the leaves will get to that height! Doh!!

• catt_2006
    17 years ago

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I don't know which ones to purchase, I would like them to bloom throughout the summer so I will have to plan carefully.

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Laurie, I won't be putting them in my rose garden. There is no room for them there. Majority will go in my lily bed. And the rest will go into other mixed beds. I was in the process of making some of them bigger last fall. ( I told DH that I was making them bigger for him, so it would be easier to cut the grass. LOL.. Whatever works, right???)

Gillian, I remembered from an earlier post that Always Afternoon was one of your favorite daylilies. I'm still working on everyone else's favorites. I won't be able to get them all this year. But there is always next year.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I was going to mention and let Brenda know that the Bonanza plant that I received from her last fall is still hanging on. It isn't doing fantastic, but it still is alive yet. I'm wondering being that it is a dormant variety, that is why parts of it seem to keep dying off. Maybe it isn't dying, but just going to sleep.
    Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Shelley, if Bonanza does not make it just let me know 'cause I do have more where it came from.

The daylilies that I also have kept in the house for the winter are doing the same...kind of just hanging around. The two I thought were dead (browned off and no sign of life) and I just hadn't made time to throw the pot out yet, have now grown 2 inch shoots on them in the last 2 weeks. Glad I didn't throw them out.

Just let me know, ok, Shelley.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Brenda, mine has always had some green fans. It seems as one dies down a new one emerges. I have it a south facing window, so I'm sure that it is getting lots of light. Maybe I'll put it under my light's and give it a shot of fertilizer to see if it'll spruce up.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice orders there Doris and Shelley!

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd share another daylily seller I found in Canada. They are located on P.E.I. Their prices seem to be pretty good. Have fun and don't make that credit card smoke to much. :)

Syreeta

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

I found another hybridizer, he has gorgeous daylilys. His full tetraploid and diploid collection right now it is on sale for only $3000. That is a full savings of $1875 if you bought them separately. Unfortunately that collection is sold out, (too bad, I had several thousand dollars hanging around that I didn't know what to do with LOL). They do give free shipping and bonus plants if you buy any of the collections.

So, any takers?

Syreeta

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG Syreeta!!!!!!!! I just went to heaven and back, did you see that MYSTIC JELLYFISH! I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

OMG OMG what are you trying to DO to us!!! Yes Mystic Jellyfish is incredible, so is White Magician, how often do you see a white spider! And look on the Pattern Seedlings page, the second last one is to die for... ok they all are... I love patterns. All those blue eyes. Aaaagh.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Mystic Jellyfish is very cool looking! You really wonder what kind of daylilies they'll be producing in 10 years time? So many new characteristics have already been developed within the last 10 years. At least he's a hybridizer in zone 5, so if you dropped $3000 on the collection, most of them would probably survive in our zone. Bonus! ;^)

• plantaddict487
    17 years ago

If you like Jamie Gossard's work, you might be interested in seeing that of Curt Hanson, another Ohio hybridizer. I collect his stuff (many have Star Trek names and I confess to being a trekkie big time) and have way too many of them. Check the link below and prepare to be dazzled!

BJ in SW MB

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Whoohoo, I've seen my first daylily fan of the year outside!! Kwanzo has decided to come out and brave the cold.....it shouldn't be too much longer before others start to pop up too. I've had 3 pots of daylilies in the house for the winter, and they've all grown well. Strutter's Ball actually went from one fan to three just lately. I'm sure they'd much rather be outside......that is, after the ground thaws.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's good news, I too took a little stroll out in the garden today and seen the H. fulva that I splitted last fall just starting to poking out.
    It won't be long Laurie that will be able to enjoy our DL's ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Oh I know Sharon, but it won't be soon enough for me!lol I just really, really hope that all the new daylilies that were put in last summer have made it through the winter ok. I'm starting to get a little antsy about that.

• plantaddict487
    17 years ago

Hi folks,

Re: H. fulva and its hybrid Kwanso, take my advice and put it someplace where it can't do any damage. These two spread almost as fast as southern kudzu. I finally banished both of them to the nether regions of the northern gardens after finding it popping up in what little grass I have left and right in the middle of a clump of a mature clump of one whose name escapes me now. One of the dangers is that they can overwhelm a not quite so vigorous (dare I use the word invasive) variety, kill it and take over. I'm not prepared to let them do that!

Here is a note I found on a daylily list:
    "H. fulva is a sterile triploid. Since the plants rarely if ever produce seed it spreads solely by spreading rhizomes. The plants triploid nature makes it a dead end genetically and it is not a parent in modern daylily hybrids."

Thought somebody might be interested.

BJ in SW MB

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Thanks for that information BJ. My Kwanso was in a spot on it's own, but last year I decided to put in a bed right beside it, so it may decide to run into that new bed. I think I'll move it to a far away spot this year, where it can't do any harm.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

BJ, I agree. I would not plant either one with other daylilies. They are good for a mass planting in an isolated area you want to put a little colour in and ignore. There are two big patches of H. fulva in my yard, nothing else grows in them. Mine are starting to sprout too.

I wonder when Montfort will ship my order... getting antsy... lol. I think I might cave and make a summer order from Vivaces Nordiques. I have been looking up some of their selections with no pictures and found a few I must have.

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I ordered a few weeks ago from Strongs Daylilies as well. Very nice people to deal with. These are the ones that I have ordered:
    Creative Edge
    Fooled Me
    Helter Skelter
    Indian Giver
    Magic Fingers
    Pink Super Spider
    Starman's Quest

Gil, I want to order from Vivaces Nordiques yet as well. I really want to try Yazoo Wild Violet. Yous looks so pretty.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

So I got my order from Montfort today - looks like they got a little warm in the mail but the plants are satisfactory and a decent size. They're soaking in a bucket now.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no you don't, you get back here Gil and tell us what daylilies you ordered! ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Actually I posted my list on Jan. 27... LOL here it is again.

BABY BLUES
    CLOVERDALE
    GILLIAN
    WEDDING BAND
    JERUSALEM
    RUTH WEBSTER

I got everything I ordered and nothing else (hem hem no freebies) I guess they don't send freebies or my order was small. Ah well.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Of course, you had to get Gillian... I think it is the prettiest of all the daylilies you got. I also like Wedding Band and the edges on Jerusalem. I couldn't find a picture of Ruth Webster but it sounds pretty. Baby Blues reminds me of the Siloams and Cloverdale's two leaf colors is sure going to be an eye stopper.

Brenda

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sorry, I should have said petal not leaf for the Cloverdale.

Where is the edit button when you need to use it?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gil, Jan 27th was sooooooooo long ago. That's weird that you didn't get a bonus plant. I guess you have to order $60 to get a 10% discount.

So you did get GILLIAN, well I want a piece of you in a few years ;) LOL

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

LOL! Sharon you're funny. Of course you can have a piece of me when there's enough to go around.

Brenda, Ruth Webster is on Montfort's website - you might have to go find it in the 'R's but it's there. I wanted a taller dark pink because I don't have one. 'Baby Blues' is a tiny plant like a Siloam as you noticed. The leaves and roots I received are small but it's a big bunch.

Now I have to decide where to put everything - I have room next to the front sidewalk but I'm afraid of vandalism or theft... you never know. I think it would kill me if someone did something to my mail-order perennials :0

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Whoops, meant to post the website (below)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

They all look stunning Gillian. Especially the one named after you.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I found this thread in the daylily forum about metallic edges and eyes.......I can't imagine what those hybridizers will strive for next!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Laurie, that is beautiful and I bet they're expensive too ;)

Still can't get over the chicken fat myself!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

*sigh* yeah any of the new ones are usually really expensive. But, I did read somewhere on the daylily forum that somebody had a seedling with a gold metallic edge and it came from a Spacecoast Starburst parent. I just got SS this spring, so if it happens to throw up a scape....I'll be dabbing!lol

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For a early Christmas present from DH, I ordered these daylilies from Coral (NS Daylilies) for next spring.....

AH YOUTH
    ALL AMERICAN WINDMILL
    AQUAMARINE
    AUTUMN WOOD
    BERTIE FERRIS
    BETTE DAVIS EYES
    BUTTERED POPCORN
    CHANCE ENCOUNTER
    DARK STAR
    EGGPLANT ECSTASY
    EL DESPERADO
    FIRST KNIGHT
    GOTHIC WINDOW
    MAUNA LOA
    PINK SUPER SPIDER
    SARATOGA SPRINGTIME
    SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR
    STARMANS QUEST

Merry Christmas!
    Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Lucky you! Gotta love getting daylilies for Christmas......your DH is a definite keeper!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie, he was kind of hinting on chipping in to get a flat screen tv for the bedroom, but I said I rather have DL's instead. When the heck do I ever watch tv, he probably wanted it for himself. ;)

Sharon

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I thought I had my daylily order made up but I just found out that Cedar Ridge has been taken over by Rural Roots Gardens. I guess my shopping will have to restart! Marg

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Yes, an order of daylilies would be great for a Christmas gift but I don't think my DH would do so, as yours did, Sharon.

Does anyone know about Rural Roots Gardens in regards to their catalogue? The website still has all the spring 2007 dates on it, yet RR on the home page. Are the prices still last year's prices or this year's prices?

http://www.cedarridgegardens.com/index.htm

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Hmmm, maybe we should all give our DH's some daylilies for Christmas.;0) I'd even offer to plant them for my DH!lol

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Laurie, somehow, I just can't see your DH being thrilled to get daylilies for Christmas, even if you do plant them for him. Maybe a tool or two or hockey tickets instead. :) Although he does seem to be happy with how the yard is turning out (daylilies, irises, etc and all) when I have been to the yard on Westman Gardeners tours.

I suggested to my DH that I would give him daylilies for Christmas and he came back with the idea that he would then give me a hunting trip...then we could exchange after Christmas. The only thing he stipulated was that the value of the daylily gift had to be $25 while the hunting package would be $2500. I don't really think that would be fair. I also don't think he has any idea of the cost of daylilies either.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Very nice selections, Sharon. Some of them I have already picked out and were put on my want list. Although I do not know how many plants I'll be buying in the new year.

Shelley