Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeolian_mi

impatiently waiting for SPRING...

Aeolian_MI
19 years ago

I have updated drawings of garden, plotted ideas for future, read books, ordered from catalogs, read more books, cleaned gardening equipment etc etc. I'm so ready for spring I can't stand it!!

Wondering what others are doing to make winter pass a little faster.

Comments (6)

• jannie
    19 years ago

I started some flower seeds in an APS box. There are forty spots. I planted 20 nasturtiums and 20 painted daisies. Almost all have germinated, they are in a sunny southern window. My cat likes to look at them, luckily she leaves them alone. Will transplant them outdoors when it finally warms up.

• paul_
    19 years ago

playing w/ my orchids... : )

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Winter sow seeds. Check out the Winter Sowing forum. I came across it last month and have been having a ball sowing seeds and leaving them out in the snow. Many people swear by the method.I'll see. At least, I am having fun gardening in the middle of winter.

• teengardener86
    19 years ago

I've starting to get anxious now too. This winter has been my best winter though; I seem to have been keeping busy enough so that I don't go nuts (most winters I do, and I just get to a point where I can't bear to see another snowflake). I'm growing several tomato plants from seed this year (under my XXL grow light), and have started a small batch of them. These I will baby in larger pots and hopefully I'll see tomatoes by early July. I'm also starting a few perennials and other things at this point that require a longer head start. Also, my collection of houseplants/tropicals are keeping me busy. And don't forget all the annuals and other misc. plants I brought in last fall. My geraniums are blooming, gazanias, impatiens, nierembergia, creeping snapdragons, wax begonias, vinca and coleus. I guess these are a big help in getting me through winter. What would I ever do w/o my plant light?! Here's hoping for an early spring - good luck everyone!

-tg86

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

I am going through piles of old garden magazines and clipping articles to go into a master plan notebook. I'm also cleaning out the basement, since I won't set foot down there after March (if we're lucky).....
    I placed my seed and plant mail orders -- late April is Christmas for gardeners!

• april_50
    19 years ago

This is my 3rd year to winter sow seeds. I have 496 containers of perennial seeds sown and sitting in garden, covered in snow. The winter sowing method is amazing and helps make the winter pass so much faster. I do my perennials in late Jan/early Feb and wait to sow my annuals in early to mid March. Last year I did 300 containers and had a germination rate of over 85%. I had sprouts by April 4th. I even start my tomato and pepper plants this way. If you are bored, do check out the Winter Sowing forum. there is still lots of time to get those seeds outside and let Mother Nature do her thing.

April