Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

How about a little rain for pete's sake?

18 years ago

I know this probably belongs in the Whiner's thread, but I just can't stand it anymore. Just checked the 10 day forecast and still NOTHING upcoming. The anticipation of rain in November is all that kept me going during the dryness of October. And now with all this beautiful weather, I long to be doing productive things in the garden ... but I just spent my free time carrying buckets of water here and there. I don't give them much, but every plant deserves a sip of water now and then (and that adds up). Except for the lawn which is going dormant anyway (zoysia).

Can we all just let out a collective scream?

Comments (15)

• 18 years ago

I've actually be suprised at how well the garden has been doing with such a lack of water. I'm a bit concerned about new planting beds, and digging anything is a pain in the back! I have to put down buckets of water over total clay soil areas for a few days before it's loose enough to dig the grass.

GGG

• 18 years ago

I know it! It doesn't seem possible this is the same year we had so much rain during the summer months. I had 9" of rain from Hurricane Dennis during a three day span. I have had only 3.51" of rain in the last 76 days!!(1.90" of which fell in two days from Tammy) In the 76 days previous, I had 26.71" of rain, including that from Dennis.

Compare July and August with September and October:

July/August: 39 rain days with some 22.81" of rain
    September /October: 11 rain days with 2.63" of rain

I agree we probably should be adding to the "Whiners Only" post, because we have a legitimate gripe here!

• 18 years ago

I saw a tumbleweed blow across the road. I think we're in trouble.

• 18 years ago

I am going to have to go do a rain dance I guess. I have so much to do that I keep putting off because the ground is so hard. I have stuff from the trade I haven't planted and now I am in trouble because we have to go out of town unexpectedly maybe for a couple of weeks. So I guess I am going to have to dig in my rock hard dirt after all.

Feast or Famine, always.

• 18 years ago

I am afraid to post on the whiners Post, better here. About pots sitting around waiting to be planted - they require more frequent watering that way than they would if you put them in the ground and watered them well at first. This dry spell says a lot for the use of water absorbing polymers like SuperSorb or Water Grabber. Just be careful how much you add and absolutely soak the crystals in water to expand them first before adding to soil. Honeygum, I saw a tree chase a dog down the road.

• 18 years ago

Actually, I've been planting a lot of stuff. Big trees and so forth. The ground is still fairly moist once you get 3 or 4 inches down and it's not all that hard to dig. You can water the area you're going to dig and that might make it easier too.

They said on the Weather Channel that some rain is going to hit here today.

• 18 years ago

looks like the raindance worked. We have light rain in Sandy Springs!

• 18 years ago

YEAH :) - we had rain here on the West side, in the West Cobb/Dallas area! A pretty good downpour, but it didn't last long enough :( Now it's getting bright again, but at least it was enought to give things a little drink.

• 18 years ago

The only thing that is raining here is acorns!

GGG

• 18 years ago

No rain here. It's waiting for me to start on this masonry project outside that can't get wet.

• 18 years ago

Looks like got just that...a little rain........very little.

• 18 years ago

It was a very light rain here in Marietta but it wet the ground and that will let other water be absorbed better so now is a good time to water. Since I will be heading for Gulf Shores for a week I need to get everything watered before I go and with an acre that will take a little time. Everyone else where we'll go will be fishing but I will be playing my guitar and working on my next CD. I'd write a sad song but I've written too many of those already. Sorta wandering off topic here but can't think of anything else to say about rain except curious about what outfit was worn for the rain dance? Next time dance a little longer.

• 18 years ago

I was out this morning and had the faintest few drops fall while I was out in the open. Its been rainy looking most of the day, but nothing of consequence to this point. I believe they are calling for rain around Thursday. It would be nice to have normal conditions, on all fronts, for just ONE year.

• 18 years ago

Boy oh boy! Everyone's complaining about the weather but, no one is doing anything about it. The rain dance only produced spit in Marietta for me also.
    I knew there was a reason I owned a hose and sprinklers. Ya'll need to get rid of the buckets and the well you must be drawing from and hook up on city/county water(indoor water sure is a pleasure too). At 5:00 in the morning you can water your neighbors yard there's so much pressure.

• 18 years ago

With all the new plantings, hooking up to a fire hydrant is more like it.

Sponsored