Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

calathea

garyfla_gw
9 years ago

Hi
can anyone ID this?? Have had it for many years and recently transplanted part out to the garden . Has responded well gary

Comments (8)

• trini1trini
    9 years ago

Maybe Calathea v. Wilsonii?
    aka Calathea princeps.
    It looks happy where it is.
    T-

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

looks like c. majestica (princeps) based on this site that i found.
    scroll down to name.

Here is a link that might be useful: best collection of calathea leaves! pics

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi
    here is a pic of the other half transplanted to a pot. remarkably different ? i got it from a dealer in Miami many years ago and has always been in the shadehouse where it grew to over 10 feet tall lol Remember him calling it a "calathea " or I'd think it a different family and that man knew his plants lol Has never flowered which would be proof growth habit is MUCh different than others

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

this one looks more like C. majestica wilsonii. perhaps there is mutation/color varietion due to different light conditions/age?
    it does look very different.
    so the offset is in pic 1 in the ground and this one remains in the pot in shade house?

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    they are both from the same pot Generally speaking it has looked like pic 2 never like pic 1 lol As you can see 1 aborted the large leaves and came up from the root ,while 2 continued with the original growth and habit #1 is planted directly in the ground in the tree fern / heliconia bed while 2 is located in the original pot but is now located in the deep shade "house plant area this is where I keep most of my calatheas all in pots.
    One thing that is quite different is my neighbors completely removed an Areca palm hedge so there is a LOT more light since planting. in the fern bed . I'm guessing this accounts for the striking difference ??
    If I hadn't transplanted them myself I'd think them two different kinds !! lol Thanks gary

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

that's a fantastic change!
    so did it have a rhizome? doesn't the new growth start from a bud on rhizome? like an offshoot? did you see the bud ?

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi
    It had a rhizome around 18 inches was more or less divided in half when transplanted Interesting that the one in the ground aborted the tall leaves while the one in the pot continued it's regular growth . Hot ,humid and daily rains so getting incredible growth on both, Noticed yesterday that the first is developing yet another pattern!! haven't fully unwound as yet ,will try to get a pic
    I grow a dozen types of calathea and while most have fantastic leaf patterns they usually don't change lol
    have noted that # 1 is definitely praying which I've never observed before but would credit the much stronger light for that . The potted remains an athiest lol
    gary

• Florilyn Mostrales-Pimentel
    2 years ago

how can I avail this in the Philippines?