Software
Houzz Logo Print
moochila

Should I paint my trim white?

14 years ago
I have semi-dark wood trim and built-ins in my whole house. I would like to brighten it up and update and my husband and family love it dark. I would love some opinions!

Comments (23)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Yes, I would. It will update the look immensely. Since you have a light carpet in this room and dark crown molding, I would go with a saturated color on the wall. That way, cream (not pure white) cabinets will play off it beautifully. If the vote is "nay" on painting, either painting the backs of the cabinets cream, or even using wallpaper or fabric inserts in the backs would at least lighten it up somewhat. Another option would be to paint the cabinets a color, or to go cream and then glaze them. That might be more appealing to your family.
  • 14 years ago
    I was actually going to paint ALL the dark wood white. Not just the built-ins but all the crown molding in the house-including chair rails and baseboards.
  • 14 years ago
    I would paint the crown molding and leave the rest. Some say it is outdated; perhaps. But I am sure part of the reason contractors paint is it is easier and less costly than staining and finishing. But, if you see some of the people redoing older homes, they are busy "trying to reclaim the wood to its original finish" Personally, homes have so much upkeep anyway and there is always something new to buy. I keep my wood the way it is and embrace it. It is much less time consuming in the long run.
    I wood just modernize the fireplace insert and perhaps the cabinet pulls.
  • 14 years ago
    I have seen the painted wood versus the old...It is beautiful and really will update and brighten up your room and your life!!! Don't use wallpaper...in the back of the shelves...it is a mess to remove and you will not accomplish what you want. Do the whole project or none at all. After you do the white...go with a nice tan color on your walls. That will enhance the built-ins, moldings and the carpet!!
  • 14 years ago
    paint the trim and moldings first, but leave the built-ins alone. The built in cabinets and mantle look like really decent woodwork and i would be hesitant to paint over them. At least see what that looks like and if you're still not happy, paint the built-ins (but make sure to use a high quality enamel/cabinet paints and primers for them.)
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi- yes paint it white and all the wood of the built-ins. color for walls and backs of built-ins: SW7043 or SW 7050. Slipcover the blue sofa to match cream/ecru chair. It will be a wonderful transformation... Happy Painting!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Most Definitely!!!!!! I'd leave the fireplace as is and look at it and see if you like it with all the white - I painted my red brick fireplace white to go with all my ultra-dark woodwork and I love it - but your fireplace is cool looking with some white already in it - it might really liven up the fireplace as well. I'd also consider removing the mantle and seeing how you like that - I think it sort of breaks up the brick work which will really pop when it's painted white!!!!
  • 14 years ago
    I think the first thing that I would do is paint the walls. A warm butter yellow would be nice. Then fill up your book cases. Once they are filled with things, the dark wood won't be so overpowering. If you start painting the woodwork, where do you stop? It looks like you have lovely woodwork. Getting new hardware for the doors would also modernize the look.
  • 14 years ago
    I think that you should paint all of the moldings white- the builts ins and all of the trim, and I would also paint the walls maybe a meduim tan color to compliment the white. Then you could add in some color with some pillows and throw blankets. I think it would totally change/update the look of that room and it wouldnt be all that expensive.
  • 14 years ago
    Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I would tape off fireplace and spray brass with heat proof black paint. Change hardware and paint all wood a soft white. Walls could use some color, play cool color against warm brick possibly a gray.
  • 14 years ago
    I think the fireplace is the problem. The brick looks dated. Think about re-doing it before painting your stained wood trim.
  • 14 years ago
    thank you everyone. jwilcox- what would you do to the brick?
  • 14 years ago
    I would have someone 'whitewash' the brick or reface your fireplace with one of the new stone facing products.
  • 14 years ago
    I like the warm wood around the fireplace. The design is timeless to me. If anythin, I would paint the room in a tan color. the brick on the fireplace has nice texture and interest. Paint the walls and the trim first, then see how you like it. If you don't like the tan wall color, then paint all the wood in white or beige and the wall in tan.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with jmorela that the mantle doesn't work as well as it could. Since you are probably going to paint, I would have a straight, simple mantle done that continues the line of the bookshelf - that would tie it all in. You could also even drywall above that, if you want to lighten it further. I also agree with Kimberlysc that you should spray the brass black, or you could spray the whole thing a different color (maybe dark bronze or something, whatever works with your furniture and finishes) New hardware (pick this out before you paint in case you need to fill some holes) and you're there!
  • 14 years ago
    leave it for last - if you decide to paint it - it is really easy to do - I did mine while my husband did all the wood wainscotting in the family room - but mine was a burn red color - I love the multi-hues in yours and think it could turn out to be a beautiful focal point for the room! I might try and round wreath or emblem or something instead of the shelf just to see what fits you and your family best...
  • 14 years ago
    FOR SURE paint it all white!!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you're up for a project, I would definitely recommend painting all the woodwork. I agree with Kathryn Peltier Design, and this 80's style wood isn't the type of wood that people are reclaiming. Painting the woodwork white, and walls a neutral tan/beige will really update the look of the house. Also new pulls are a must!
  • 14 years ago
    I had similar woodwork in my house. Just painted wood work and trims white (BM White dove) with wall colors (BM manchester tan). Loving the look. Our inspiration was the pictures from Yarrow Point Residence on Houzz.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Ever thought of gray? Check out some Restoration Hardware colors! White is classic, but gray is unexpected and a little more contemporary.
  • 14 years ago
    If you are going to paint the built-ins white you could stain the mantle a dark rich wood color, I think that would be a great contrast and it would add some chracter to the room