Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeentanner

Can I eat immediately after canning?

aimeentanner
9 years ago

I am canning my favorite potato soup (with ALL the ingredients). After reading the posts, and searching elsewhere on the net, I have since learned I am not supposed to can this. Yes, it has all the dairy products and is mildly pureed. I went ahead and finished the canning process, simply because I was half-way through when learning this. My question, then is, can I just open all the jars, and use normal storage times (put in fridge/freeze as normal) after I've canned them, or do I have to throw it all away?

Comments (5)

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

Yes, if you just finished canning it, you can open them and either eat or freeze.
    Thank goodness you caught it in time!

Deanna

• aimeentanner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Deanna, I was SO bummed when I read the thread! (And have to admit, I felt a little stupid!) I'm glad I found this site - I obviously am still a newbie to canning, and could use all the advice I can get! :D
    Aimee

• pqtex
    9 years ago

Aimee, this is the best place on the internet to obtain information about safe canning practices. We've all made goofs. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who are helpful, and the forum is friendly. Get these canning books...So Easy to Preserve and at least one of the Ball books, such as the Ball Blue Book, or the Ball Complete Book of Preserving. There are other canning books that are recommended, too. When in doubt, ask here, or search at the NCHFP (national center for home food preservation). Be very aware there are a lot of blogs, youtube videos, and websites that promote canning of just about anything, and a lot of it is just plain crazy unsafe! I've been canning for several years now, and still review all the instructions and information before I start a session. Also, the instruction book that came with your canner may not be up-to-date.

Good luck. Hope you have room in your freezer. Potato soup is one of my favorites.

Jill

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Why bother to can if you are going to start using it the next day ?
    Just keep it refrigerated. That is what you will do after openin a can,'

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The OP hadn't planned to eat it the next day. Thus the canning. The question only arose when she discovered that what she had just canned shouldn't be canned and needed to be dealt with immediately.

Dave

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths