Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenacresgirl_gw

My zone 10 herbs

greenacresgirl
13 years ago

I noticed there were a few posts asking about growing herbs. So I thought I would post my personal experience in zone 10:

My best tip is probably to start seeds in a pot and then just plant a bunch all over and whatever grows grows. You can't always predict what they will like. But when they are happy they flourish and seeds are cheap.

Basil - For me this is the easiest herb to grow, except in cold weather. I plant seeds in a pot and transplant as many as I could possibly want. It is very important to pinch off the tips from time to time. I have had some survive winters but not this last unusually cold one.

Bay- I got a tree last year, at the rare fruit sale. It is in part sun and so far so good.

Borage- I just started some from seed, and the seedlings look great. My first time growing.

Chives- grows like weeds.

Cilantro- Easy to grow from seed but usually doesn't survive summer. In the past I have had some survive in part shade.

Dill- I have had luck transplanting but it is better to direct sow. Doesn't last long. Just keep sowing.

Fennel - Should be direct sown. This gets huge and attracts butterflies. I have heard it can be a growth inhibitor for other plants so I keep it away from my veggies.

Garlic- I had luck for the first time this past year. I bought packaged garlic from an Orlando grower at Publix. My success was either from refrigerating it for 6 weeks prior to planting or the unusually cold winter.

Parsley_ Just plant a bunch all over. Usually doesn't survive the really hot weather. I grow flat leaf for cooking and curly around the perimeter of my veggie garden for beneficials.

Rosemary_ I have had a huge bush for over 7 years. It is in part shade and I ignore it. Unfortunately I have not been able to grow another one.

Lemongrass- gets huge. My dog actually managed to destroy a young plant by constantly munching on it.

Mint - I plant in in a window box in full sun. It seems to burn up sometimes in the summer but always comes back.

Nasturtium-I grow this in sandy soil on the perimeter of my veggie garden, after the really hot weather has ended.

Sage- it seems to do the best in my window sill.

Thyme_-Bizarrely this does best in my full sun window box with the mint. Doesn't like the high heat, but comes back.

Marjoram_ has been doing well in a full sun pot. Made it through all the seasons.

Oregano- needs a lot of space.

Comments (3)