Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjsuarez

Help,should I hang a wall mirror opposite a flat screen TV

14 years ago
I purchased a large mirror to hang over my sofa which faces the flat screen TV on the opposit wall. However "I am not sure now if the reflection of the TV in the mirror will look odd.

This is the mirror from Horschow
http://www.horchow.com/p/Giorgia-Venetian-Style-Mirror-Giorgia-Venetian-style-Mirror/cprod64320018___/?eItemId=cprod64320018&cmCat=search&searchType=MAIN&icid=&rte=%252Fsearch.jhtml%253FN%253D0%2526Ntt%253DGiorgia%252BVenetian%252Bstyle%252BMirror%2526_requestid%253D7855

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It's a beautiful mirror and it will look fine when the TV is off, and when it is on, well, the people on the other side of the room will be able to watch TV also. Can you reposition either the mirror or the TV? If not, live with it a while and see if it bothers you.
  • 14 years ago
    NO!
  • 14 years ago
    Hi Natalie, can you give me some reason why I should not. The mirror is set to be hung today so I need to be sure of the placement.
  • 14 years ago
    Not sure what Natalie's reasons are, but my reasons for not hanging a mirror there would be that TVs are not inherently attractive enough for me to want to see two of them. You need to think about what image a mirror is going to reflect. If a mirror faces an attractive space, then it's great to get that visual effect repeated. But a big black rectangle with cords at the bottom is not what I'd want reflected in a living room mirror.
  • 14 years ago
    I was thinking alone that same line of reasoning and that's why I put the question out. Where would be another suggestion to place the mirror in the room? Was the type of mirror the wrong choice? I wanted a glamorous statement look in the room
  • 14 years ago
    A mirror should reflect a thing of beauty, not just be a mirror.

    Wouldn't a mirror image of a tv show be reversed? I'm not sure......
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Totally agree with feeny. If all the mirror is going to reflect is a black screen, you'll lose the lightening effect that mirrors usually have in the room. It will also be really distracting while watching TV to have the mirror bouncing the light from the television in all directions.

    Incidentally, there is cable tracking you can stick on the walls to hide those unsightly cords. You could argue that the cable tracking is as unsightly as the cords, but the cable tracking can be painted and the black cords can't. :)
  • 14 years ago
    I'm not sure either. But my concern is the overall look of where the mirror will be hung and the effect it will have in the entire room.
  • 14 years ago
    I like that idea. I need something over the sofa? Maybe a huge painting?
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Yes, I think that either one horizontal work of art over the sofa or possibly two or three smaller, related works of art in matching frames, or even a cluster of smaller artworks (see below), would look much better over the sofa than a mirror in this particular situation.
    LINDENWOOD CIRCLE · More Info

    Pleasant Valley · More Info

    Lovely Living Room · More Info

    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Appreciate the cable suggestion. I told my husband but some men don't seem to care about details that why it's still there, not my choice. I'm working on having the cables hidden in the wall. Keep the suggestions coming that mirror is schedule to be hung today.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I'm so glad you posted pictures of your space so that someone could find another place for the mirror.
    And yes, a large painting or a pair of large framed pieces would be lovely over the sofa.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Either one large painting or (my preferred choice) a series of 2-4 smaller works would go beautifully over the couch. I'm thinking something abstract, but colorful. The current colors in the space are a bit muted.

    Here's a fairly random example of the sort of thing I mean:

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/living-in-the-abstract-decorating-with-really-modern-art-stsetivw-vs~11781
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/95645873/large-abstract-original-acrylic-painting

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    Personal Home Tour · More Info

    Senate Square Funky Living Room · More Info

    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Hi-just getting on. Hang the mirror in the dining area-opposite your windows. Doing so will expand the space, make you see double your food, candles, flowers, (whatever you have on the table) and reflect the light from the window. Art over your sofa... Nice HUGE painting. Make it yourself, have the kids help. Buy the biggest canvas you can fit in your vehicle, some acrylic paints in your desired color palette, and some brushes. Lay the canvas flat, spritz or sprinkle some water on it, thin the acrylics with water and randomly apply colors to canvas. Add water here and there so the colors flow together. Tilt the canvas back and forth, to and fro to give a mottled effect. Allow it to dry for a couple of hours. Clean-up is easy, soap and water... Hope this helps and have fun...
  • 14 years ago
    A pic for inspiration. Hang canvas horizontal... CheerS!
    http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=1016
  • 14 years ago
    Love the entire idea.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks...
    I'm going to follow you to see your progress. It's going to look sensational-I know it!
  • 14 years ago
    I hope so.
  • 12 years ago
    I have a similar problem. Mirrored living room wall came with the house. Can I hang a tv on it? Anything? Otherwise I lose the largest wall in the room,
  • 6 years ago

    !!!