Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanzone5

Dead plants for no reason?

susanzone5 (NY)
19 years ago

I've had some rudbeckia that just up and died. Wilted. No evidence of mole activity or maggots. Roots seem fine. Surrounding plants are fine too, very healthy and happy.

I've been reading on other forums that people in zone 5 have had the same experience with their perennials.

My irises have had a lot of bacterial mush, too.

I think it's the weather this spring, or maybe it's a virus. Anyone else have strange goings on in the garden this spring?

Comments (6)

• giniene
    19 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, one of my rhododendrons just lost ALL of it's leaves. This is the first year I've had one, is this normal?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I planted a rhodie last summer and it died out in the middle over the winter. I was about to return it when I heard from many people that the same thing happened to theirs. So I pruned it hard and all the new growth looks good. Really weird.

I figured out that the rudbeckia that wilted and died was a short lived perennial, treated as an annual. But those usually die over the winter and don't reappear. This one grew beautifully and died slowly before my eyes! Sadistic plant....

• giniene
    19 years ago

This rhodie was wierd I think. I planted it about 6 weeks ago, it looked great all spring, then all of a sudden, it started losing all of it's leaves, then one morning, everything was gone, nothing there at all. Very strange, like I said, I've never had one before but I know that this is not normal.

• karen713
    19 years ago

I've been hearing a lot about plants dying for no reason - I thought I was losing my echinacea, but it's coming back. My mom lost her boxwood, and mine are looking strange. My neighbors lost a few of their perennials. Strange year. I also have deer eating things this year that they've never eaten before. Go figure!

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

Things in my garden are starting to get a bit dried up. I wish we'd get a bit more rain...a really soaking one.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I am losing plants for what seems like no reason..I have cimifuga Hillside Black Beauty that was doing great, now it is dying.. I can't find a reason. The leaves are turning brown and curling in. I checked into the soil, and I can't find a reason. I water it, so it isn't a lack of water, I don't overdo it. It is in shade, so no sun scorch. I've lost a few annuals too, when some next to them are doing fine. I have a coneflower that the stems started drooping on and the leaves started turning black...(I took it out, I was afraid if it was something, I didn't want it to spread. I have a clematis that turned brown too. (all in different beds, and for the amount of plants I have, it is a small number, but I still like them and would like to know what is causing this too.

Sponsored