Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellychick

What backsplash should I install?

Melanie
11 years ago
3 years ago my husband and I designed and built our home. With so many decisions to make, I couldn't decide on a backsplash. I installed faux tin as a temporary "fix". I have always found it too shiny. It is the first thing your eye sees when entering the kitchen area.
I am now ready to commit to a more subtle, blending backsplash.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (18)

• Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---glass or glass/stone with the colors scheme I've attached. Tile installed on the VERTICAL for this space... Several pieces in this room are of the same hue and value---I suggest reupholstering the backs of your stools with a lighter (print) fabric. Hope this helps... :)
    http://atlantalegacyhomes.blogspot.com/2012_01_01_archive.html
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    By the way---Beautiful Kitchen!
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    I think a light backsplash in warm tones would be a lovely complement to your kitchen. Below are some images of neutral backsplashes that lighten up the kitchen without stealing too much attention. You can also check out our mosaic designer, http://www.susanjablon.com/designer/mosaic-designer.html or contact one of our designers to custom design a tile backsplash to match your counter, floors, and cabinets. We offer a wide variety of glass, stone, and stainless steel tiles and can help you find one to suit your tastes!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Very pretty room. You did a nice job with this. I would use a medium toned tumbled travertine with the room in keeping with the more rustic nature of the cabinetry.
  • cbiskit
    11 years ago
    I think bead board would look nice, painted a neutral color. You already have a lot of solid surfaces like granite and tile...Just my two! ;)
  • skyfrolic
    11 years ago
    I think Natalie has a very good suggestion, something more neutral rather than of the same color tones that is the rest of the kitchen. It's a beautiful kitchen.
  • PRO
    Moyer Woodworks
    11 years ago
    Glass tile would be my choice as well....i might lean to a 2"x2" size or bigger so its not so busy..and perhaps a personal touch of a special tile randomly placed...very nice kitchen and layout...its such a focal point that it needs to be "mellow"
  • Melanie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love all the great ideas! Natalie, why did you suggest vertical, rather then horizontal? Love the tile you suggested.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Tao Latte Foam Marble & Glass from Glass Tile Store.com is the first one.
    Second one I like, but may be too busy, but very cool.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Here are some close ups of light colored, neutral backsplashes. One is a handcut stained glass travertine colored mosaic, the other is a blend of tan and golden hued 2 inch square tiles. Subtle color palettes, but with some texture. Hopefully this is inspiring!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi mellychick
    I like that you asked me this question. When I looked at your photo the room seemed very horizontal to me, so much so, that my eye didn't notice your beautiful glass front cabinetry. Therefore, I suggested installing the tiles vertically---thus making the eye follow the vertical plane rather than the horizontal plane. Hope my explanation makes sense. :) Your room is Beautiful, very well done. Enjoy!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen strikes me as Craftsman inspired. I love the look of this kitchen with hand glazed Motawi tile backsplash.
    Craftsman Inspired Kitchen · More Info
  • Tanya Murgia
    11 years ago
    Stone would look fabulous for a rustic feel Glass tile in Earth tones would be more modern or transitional
  • stlacy
    11 years ago
    I agree with whiskeyrobot about the skinny glass tiles. Think in a few years they're going to look seriously dated. Far too trendy for your gorgeous kitchen I happen to like the tin tiles or even a stainless steel tile, but if you don't want shiny, travertine would be stunning. One of my bathrooms has a walk-in travertine shower and sometimes I just go stand in it to look at the stone.
  • jaynesrenopics
    11 years ago
    I also agree with whiskeyrobot. you need to step away from any tan and brown! think light and energetic. maybe you could introduce a subtle color. grey or green as attached by whiskeyrobot. those cabinets are gorgeous.
  • Nicole Allen
    11 years ago
    First off, I love your kitchen! The cabinets are to die for! Since there is already alot going on in there, (Pendant lights, granite etc.) I would suggest that you remain plain on the backsplash. Whether it be glass tile or ceramic or whatever, stay with minimal designs...I like the pic that i attached--pay no attention to the rest of the pic, the tile is the only part i was looking at- but in more of a warm tone to match your kitchen.
  • Nicole Allen
    11 years ago
    I also like these....