Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juantia

sweet potato vine question

juantia
15 years ago

I bought a green sweet potato vine this summer as an accent plant. I am getting ready for winter so I am cleaning out my pots. While cleaning up this vine I found a "red" potato that is larger than my hand. I donÂt know if I should save it . Will I be able to root it to grow a vine? I didnÂt know were to ask for help. Can a Master Gardener out there help me? Thanks Juantia

Comments (4)

• ksfarmer
    15 years ago

You should be able to start new plants from the root. Just put it in a container and submerge the lower part in water. When you have new starts growing on it with roots started, just break them off and root to start a new plant. Ornamental sweet potatoes can be handled just like the food varietys,but, they usually aren't as good to eat.

• juantia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. I can't belive that I found this "huge" potato. I'll try to root it.

• merrygardens
    15 years ago

You also can save it at room temperature over the winter and bury it in soil next spring. It should put up several vines that you can then tip and root.

• dlpasti
    15 years ago

Agree with merrygardens-------thats what I did last year with mine---infact, they were in a pot on top of the dryer all winter, and grew better than the ones I bought this past spring.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting