Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winterwolfes

Butterfly Weed?

winterwolfes
17 years ago

I cannot find Butterfly Weed or Goldenrod anywhere. Is it just too early for garden centers to stock these plants? The last place I went to over this past weekend said they won't arrive for another few weeks because they bloom later. I thought the idea was to get the plants in the ground before they bloom. but maybe garden centers don't stock before then because they aren't showy enough?

Comments (8)

• njtea
    17 years ago

You're right - garden centers want to display plants in bloom because more of them are sold that way. Inexperienced gardeners don't like to buy just a clumb of leaves, even if there is a label with the picture attached.

• actuary97
    17 years ago

Dont know if you are in Morris County or not, but the AGWAY in Morristown has butterfly weed, A bunch of other later blooming perennials as well.

I also saw some at the Lowes on Rte 23 in Butler.

Excelsior

Dave

• winterwolfes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks, but i am down in ocean county. thinking about going to the cape may plant sale next weekend though. they should more than likely have it. I would hope!

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

I've rarely seen plants being sold anywhere in Bergen County, but just recently have been seeing A. tuberosa show up in a few select nurseries. Since that won't help you now, I'll let you know that they're very easy to grow from seed. I have high germination with winter sowing. If you'd like some seed, I have plenty of A. incarnata (pinks) and A. tuberosa (orange). I believe the seeds do need to be chilled to germinate. If sown now (after chilling), you might get a sparse bloom, or maybe they'll just produce foliage and should return next year. I had winter sown some AT "Hello Yellow" late in April, and I don't believe they had a good chill, but germinated like gangbusters. Let me know if you're interested!
    Tracey
    tracey_nj6
    flamingonut *at* gmail *dot* com

• axeman
    17 years ago

If you're anywhere near Bowman's Hill, south of New Hope, they're having their spring sale, last weekend and next. I was able to pick up some Butterfly Weed there, and I saw they have Goldenrod as well. Great place to go just to walk around.

I also think Springdale Farms in Voorhees has some.

Some places sell flowers, others sell plants. :)

• roses4ever
    17 years ago

Springdale Farms in Voorhees does have it. I can always find the best perennials there. I love their place!

• loris
    17 years ago

Here's a mail-order source for it that's located in Frenchtown NJ and interested in sustainable propagation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toadshade Wildflower Farm

• tiarella
    17 years ago

Try Cicconi Farms in Jackson they are both wholesale and retail and have a large selection. They also have some native plants and both goldenrod and butterfly weed are native to NJ

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor