My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
Does anyone know of a source for seeds/ tubers of sunchokes? AKA Jerusalem Artichokes? Mail order or retail close to POrtland Oregon? Even a grocery store that carries them would suffice.
i just bought some from the new seasons market in n. pdx. they were quite nice and grown in the nw, so i thought they'd be a good choice for putting in the ground. i've also bought some (for eating) from trader joe's this season, though i don't know where they came from.
has anyone around here had experience growing them? anything special we should know?
Yes, they spread! My DH loves them and plants them in most inappropriate spots. So, I refuse to fertilize them or water them and he complains because they are too small. I am trying to get him to put in a barrier to contain the spread and if he does, I promise I will look after them and grow him some lovely ones. I like them steamed and I slip the skins off after they are cooked. Or grate them along with regular potatoes for an interesting flavour of hash browns. My Mother in law used to make soup out of them but I have never tried that.
Well I finally got my sunchokes and they were good! I was interested in them mainly because of the body's slowness to digest the starch in them and won't cause a spike in blood sugar. Well a warning: This action by the body also causes GAS! HORRIFIC NEVER ENDING OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS,GAS. After further research online, I hear this is common. I shant be eating any sunchokes ever again. If your digestive system is not sensitive to this... BY all means try the sunchoke! Theyre delicious!
lol, that's a family story here. My sister-in-law brought her future husband home for a meal and artichoke soup was served. He spent the rest of the evening backed up against the fireplace! I think this is an individual reaction though. They don't affect me quite that way but others in the family calls them fartichokes...
barbe_wa
kcannard
Related Professionals
Zanesville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Tuscaloosa Landscape Contractors · Augusta Landscape Contractors · Joplin Landscape Contractors · Muskogee Landscape Contractors · Lawrence Landscape Contractors · Escanaba Landscape Contractors · Eau Claire Landscape Contractors · Victorville Landscape Contractors · Panama City Architects & Building Designers · Asheville Architects & Building Designers · Raleigh Architects & Building Designers · Houston Architects & Building Designers · Bangor Architects & Building Designers · Albert Lea Architects & Building Designersdottyinduncan
Allison ProctorOriginal Author
Allison ProctorOriginal Author
dottyinduncan
Allison ProctorOriginal Author