Software
Houzz Logo Print
homernoy

Winter pics from Bremerton

19 years ago

There is quite a bit of damage from the freeze, but not too bad. All the leafless plants pictured are Abutilon, but they are already starting to but. The succulent is a Dudleya species. They are already putting out buds, as well as new leaves. Take care.

-Brian



















Comments (8)

  • 19 years ago

    It is amazing to see what was killed, somewhat damaged, and not touched by winter at all. Some things may come back even if severely damaged. My most amazing apparent survivor is my Dykia. This was its first winter in the ground (we were tired of repotting it) and tho there is some damage, the central rosettes look fine. The agaves had no damage at all.

  • 19 years ago

    Do you want to say that echiveria in the pot was outside whole winter? Do you know the name of it?

  • 19 years ago

    Very cool, thanks for sharing. My agaves and even haworthias look fine so far, so I'm pleasantly surprised after this winter. My tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca) has had the very tips zapped back, but the rosettes of foliage at the base look pretty good. It's one of my favorites, like a self-sowing eucalyptus, heh heh.

    Your pic number one is one of the grevilleas, right?

    Thanks again for the eye candy,
    Grant

    Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1069660}}

  • 19 years ago

    Galcho:
    "Do you want to say that echiveria in the pot was outside whole winter? Do you know the name of it?"

    Yes everything has been left as pictured the entire winter. The name of the echeveria has been lost. Sorry.

    I also have a Graptopetalum paraguayense that came through the winter in a pot. I think it froze solid. It has stems about 8" or longer. The stems and leaves are firm, but the older leaves show some browning. I will post a pic in a little while.

    Grant:
    "Your pic number one is one of the grevilleas, right?"

    Yes that is a Gevillea victoriae. It bloomed through both freezes we had this winter. Quite a prize I think.

  • 19 years ago

    Here are a couple more pictures I took this morning. The succulent with long thick stems is the Graptopetalum, the Yucca is aloifolia, and the palm is Butia capitata. The bright green leaves are from Umbellularia. Take care.









  • 19 years ago

    I'v managed to keep a clump of Echiveria alive for several years, upturning a plant pot over in the fall before the real cold sets in. On days when the weather was mild and not raining, I'd remove the pot for awhile. Don't forget to put the pot back on, it's the rain and staying wet more than the cold that does them in, I'm not sure which cultivar it is, grows quite big and has glaucous leaves.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Many plants shown look N deficient, you might think about mulching with compost or fertilizing. Sample soil first and have it tested to check. If you are digging in potting soil or planting in pockets of potting soil this tends to be leached, container production operations fertilize heavily.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Ron.

    Yea, my soil isn't the best. I just got back from the store, and came back with lot's of compost, and steer manure, along with Osmicote slow release fertilizer.

    Also, my camera seems to make matters worse. If it is bright, it seems to overexpose. I have a junky Sony digital camera. My wife has a much nicer digital camera, and if you took a pic of the same scene at the same time, you could put them side by side, and the difference is amazing.

    -Brian