Software
Houzz Logo Print
pacnwgrdngirl

Old Garden Roses - ?'s

19 years ago

Hello - I love Roses and grow many, but have never grown OGR's. I ordered Indigo (Portland Damask), Cardinal de Richelieu (Gallica), and Reine des Violettes (Hybrid Perpetual) from the Uncommon Rose. Do the Gallicas do good here? Is it cold enough for them? Is there a place in the area that you can buy OGR's? Is there any tips or suggestions for growing them? Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (9)

  • 19 years ago

    I think the Uncommon Rose is a great source as is Heirloom.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses

  • 19 years ago

    I actually have some of Heirloom's Roses. My parents live down near there, my mom I went to their sale last summer. A wonderful place to see when they are all in bloom! I'm new to own-root roses. (Except for cuttings we've made of each other's.) Is it better to pot them in a container to establish a little bit before planting? They're so small when you get them.

  • 19 years ago

    Keep soil moist at early summer bloom time, if you end up with one-time blooming old garden roses shriveling you have to wait a year for another shot at a nice bloom from them. By the time they come out soils here are often already getting dry (this varies with the soil texture and other site conditions, of course).

  • 19 years ago

    I planted my tiny roses from Uncommon right out last year and they did very well. I was lazy about fertilizing too. Just compost. They were in 2" pots and are now too big for a one gallon.

  • 19 years ago

    DUH!
    This place is great - It is practically in my backyard! Check out the amazing variety of roses they carry. My roses from them have always been very healthy too. The metal tags on the ones I've gotten say Weeks. I don't know if any of them are own root.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Raft Island Roses

  • 19 years ago

    All the once blooming ogrs do very well here. The chinas and teas not quite so well depending on where you are, they want a longer hotter summer than some parts of WA get.

    Oregon soils are very different from Puget Sound area soils. I'd definitely pot up the baby roses in tiny pots for a year or so before planting them in lean gravelly soil. They'll need a bigger root system in order to find the little scraps of nutrients and water in gravelly soils.

    Raft Island Roses is a great place.

  • 19 years ago

    I have a couple of Gallicas that are several years old and they put on quite a show last year. One seems to have been mislabeled as I was supposed to get a red one but it is white with magenta brushed on the edges of the petals. I haven't found a Gallica with that description yet.

    I tried planting small own-roots directly or potting them up into gallon pots first and letting them double in size first. The garden soil seems to be a much more difficult environment so I like getting them bigger before subjecting them to the stresses of my clay, voles, rabbits, etc.

    I have bought OGR's once from Vintage, Chamblees, and Kedem. Last time I looked at Kedem's website it looked like they were no longer doing internet sales or shipping. I got roses a couple of times from Almost Heaven when they had sales on several at once. Sequoia is probably cheapest and I got roses from them several years, and has a lot and this year from Rogue Valley, not yet received. People on the rosesant forums seem to like lots of other sources.

  • 19 years ago

    I get most of mine from Vintage, with Sequoia, Rogue Valley, and Greenmantle filling in. The Antique Roses forum can give you lots of information. Check Paul Barden's site for local trials - he's breeding gallicas. I am trying mostly teas, noisettes, and moschatas, more tender roses that repeat and come in colors other than pink. When I lived in z5 all I could grow was pink and white. I miss the gallicas and albas, though. The albas are wonderful - there they were completely disease free, beautiful foliage, great hip displays, large shrubs. The gallicas had varying resistance to mildew.
    Teas and noisettes are interesting classes - the old rosers in California have collected many varieties that have been growing unattended in cemetaries for years - good xeriscaping potential - large repeating well shaped shrubs that don't need much summer water to survive. I have a mildew prone yard - so far the moschatas are great, the others vary in their resistance - haven't had enough time here to give too much info on that aspect but there's lots from coastal growers on the forum.

    Here is a link that might be useful: paul barden

  • 19 years ago

    My Noisettes have mostly done well, and Reve d'Or really grew and bloomed a lot last year. Zepherine Drouhin has been my star performer with first and last and continuous bloom, but does get some BS that it shrugs off when the weather dries out. Marie Pavie, Penelope, Betty Boop, Fourth of July, La Biche, Crepuscule, Champney's Pink Cluster, Sombreuil, Distant Drums, Mons Tillier, Souvenir de la Malmaison, and a couple others I can't recall the names of away from home have done well for me. Some above not OGR's.:-)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Columbus High Quality Painting Expert