Software
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Goji Berries

Is anyone growing these in the PNW? I've just planted some seeds and was wondering if anyone had some tips for growing these berries. I first came across these berries in the grocery store they were chocolate coated and very tasty. Not knowing anything about them I looked them up. Found out these berries are very good source of antioxidants etc.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Goji Berries

Comments (9)

  • 18 years ago

    Will be at some retail outlets because of recent interest in consuming fruits, otherwise I see the plants here and there - growing on their own. Jacobson, Wild Plants of Greater Seattle describes its status here as "E Asian garden shrub; escapes; rare*"

    When popping up on its own here seems to be typical of rough places like dry stone walls and exposed beaches, although not a stunning ornamental certainly not a shy thing that can't take our conditions.

    *As wild plant in Seattle

  • 18 years ago

    Last spring I bought 3 plants from Raintree Nursery in Morton. They are also called Wolfberries. They were about 4' tall and healthy. I have very good, rich soil (Puyallup Valley)that is well drained. They had purple blossoms and a few berries the first summer. However, they lost many leaves due to mildew when we had that wet spell. Now I see they are doing great! Shiny leaves and many branches. I cut them back during the winter and stuck the prunings into the dirt and they are growing well. I'm expecting a healthy crop. They are not a vine but more than a bush since they grow to about 12 feet and tend to fall over unless staked. I put bamboo poles on each side and hold them up with twine. They have big stickers that are not easily seen so can be dangerous to brush against. Raintree nursery sells out of these before the shipping date so get an order in early. I have also grown them from seed. I bought a dried mix of fruit at Trader Joe's and separated them out. I was amazed that after a few days of soaking and then planting they grew into small 2 inch bushes. However, I did not tend to them properly and they died.

  • 18 years ago

    gardengal, thanks for your imput. I have never seen these plants for sale around here so I bought a package of the dried berries from a local health food store, soaked a couple of the berries and sprouted the seeds on wet paper towel, great germination rate and now mine are potted up and in the greenhouse.

    A......

  • 18 years ago

    I have an order in with ...onegreenworld.com for four Wolfberry bushes. They are scheduled to arrive around March 24th. I called all around SEA to see if anyone had some small plants that I could grow. This company is out of Oregon as is Raintree Nursery. Both carry them. onegreenworld.com has wonderful customer relations and they are very easy to order from their web site. The plants I ordered are $19.00 something plus shipping. I figured I would have to pay that much out and about IF I found any. I have very good luck with most kinds of berries on my property in Redmond so I will keep in touch with this site and let you know. We live a very healthy life style with our gardens and I look forward to growing these plants and getting the benefits from the fruit.Look the berries up on the Web and you will get an idea about how the Chinese have used them for centuries. Gooooooo Goji.....Salmonlady4

  • 17 years ago

    I have been eating goji berries for awhile now and decided I would try and grow them. I am not sure if I should try seeds or buy the plants? Anyone have a opinion on this? I found a place to buy the seeds from but they do not have the plants. Any help would be great.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Goji Berries

  • 17 years ago

    I bought my Goji berries at a health food store, all I did was soak one of the berries in water squish the seeds (lots) out in the water. I spouted the seeds on damp paper towel then planted a few in pots. A

  • 17 years ago

    there seems to be a little confusion here. Lycium chinense or wolfberry or chinese wolfberry is different than true tibetan wonderberry (lycium barbarum). the wolf berry is not as nutritious as the wonderberry. peace.

    -Vance

  • 17 years ago

    The Goji berry I'm growing is lycium barbarum, I bought a package of berries at a local health food store and as I said earlier I just soaked a couple of berries, got lots of seed and had a very good germination rate. Unfortunately I lost my plants this winter, my fault, so I've had to start over. A

  • 17 years ago

    There may be common name confusion, but Raintree still sells Lycium barbarum.

    I grew some from purchased seed last year and set them out, I would have to locate them to find out how they are doing. I hope they made it through the winter.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting