Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17349468

Moving to WA

20 years ago

Hello All - My name is Sonja and currently I live just north of Oklahoma City, Ok. I will be moving to the Seattle area next Spring. I love to garden and have a small orchard (approx 30 trees- Asian pears, Peaches, Apricots, Nectarines, and Apples) and a fairly large garden. I have lived here all my life and am scared and excited about moving to your beautiful area of the country. I will be buying a property with a minimum of 10 acres (right now I have 43). How is the gardening up there? What kind of fruits and vegetables do you grow? I am scared of the rain as it pertains to gardening. Here in Ok it rains in the spring and a little in the fall. Winters average below 30 for 2 months and 90-100+ in the summers. I would appreciate any responses to help ease my mind. If I couldn't garden, I think I would die! Thanks!

Comments (17)

  • 20 years ago

    Here's a profile of the climate zone (Sunset 5) that Seattle falls in from Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK (2001, Sunset Publishing Corporation):

    "Mild ocean air moderates winters in this area. The region produces some of the finest rhododendrons, Japanese maples, and rock garden plants anywhere.

    Average January minimum temperatures here range from 37 to 33F (3 to 1C), with annual lows in the 20s, extremes from 17 to 10F (-8 to -12C). But some areas, such as parts of south Vancouver Island, almost never get a freeze. In the rest of Zone 5, big freezes do considerable damage when they come very early or very late, when plants are not conditioned for that kind of cold. And while these occasional disasters clear the slate of most borderline plants, they should not serve as a general gauge of plant hardiness here.

    Many waterside areas show low heat accumulation in the summer, with July days rarely moving above the low 70s. To grow heat-loving plants, pick out the hottest spots in the garden for them--a south wall or a west wall does a good job of reflecting heat--and select peach and tomato varieties with low heat needs. The mildness in these areas favors leaf vegetables, which are slow to bolt, and flowering ornamental plants like fuchsias and calendulas. The growing season usually runs between 200 and 250 days.

    The lowlands around Puget Sound and along the coast were once covered with forest, so native woodland plants like trilliums, piggy-back plant, and a host of ferns thrive here, as do forest-edge trees like vine maples and dogwoods."

    The Cascade and Olympic Mountains are much colder, with a shorter growing season and much higher precipitation, but few people live there. Between the mountains and Sunset 5 is a large intermediate zone (Sunset 4) where you might find yourself if you end up settling away from the most populous areas.

    Most precipitation in Seattle area falls in winter. July is often nearly rainless. Annual total may be less than 40 inches.

    For information from WSU Cooperative Extension search internet for "gardening in western washington".

  • 20 years ago

    You can garden here almost year 'round IF you don't mind being damp. LOL it does rain an lot but it is a light misty rain, often and not a downpour. It is less hot in the summer and less cold in the winter than OK. No tornados either.

    You can grow fruit trees and many edible crops in addition to a very wide variety of ornamentals.

  • 20 years ago

    We moved here from NJ last year and love it. We always lived on the east coast; NY, Maine, NJ and this is our first time out here. LOVE how mild it is all winter. Yes, it does go below freezing; but very infrequently (and only on really clear nights). The weather is just so steady; the high and the low doesn't vary much during the day or day to day. It is so nice to see green all winter.

    I do miss the heat in the summer! I think you adjust after a few years, as I did in Maine, but I do wish it was about 8 degrees warmer in the summer!

    How close to Seattle are you planning to live? When you look on-line at weather info be aware that the climate is very different on one side of the mountain pass then the other. It is MUCH warmer east of the pass in the summer, but colder in the winter.

    Good luck in your move!
    Cathie

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome!! The Northwest is considered by many to be a gardening Mecca :) so I don't think you'll have to worry about not being able to grow things.

    There are some differences in what you can grow -- biggest thing I've noticed is that tomatoes and peppers are a challenge (summer nights here tend to be cool, for one thing, even after a hot day), but so many things do so much better than the Midwest, and because it's a warmer zone, the plant palatte is huge. You'll be able to grow all sorts of fruits. I've gardened all my life and have loved learning about the differences here and have rejoiced in the way things grow. A copy of Sunset's Western Garden Book is a good way to start learning about the area.

    I don't miss the cold, windy, snowy winters (and if I want snow it's just a short drive away in the mountains) and I really don't miss the hot, humid summers. Or the threat (and reality) of tornados, or the harsh thunderstorms (well, I miss the thunderstorms a little, but not much). It rains a lot in the fall/winter/spring (usually tapering into more and more rain in the fall and then tapering out in the spring), but interestingly, the average yearly rainfall is about the same as IN. The gray winters aren't a change from what I was used to, but the warmer winter temps are a welcome change, so I actually enjoy being able to get outside more in the winter and find all the rain sort of cozy. Summers tend to be very sunny (at least wher I am) with very low humidity and cool nights. Temps are much more moderate here. The growing season is a LOT longer than you're used to, so that should be a big bonus.

    I love it here, not just for the gardening and climate and mountains and ocean, but also the people, cultural opportunities, great food, and a long list of other things... I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck with your move, and happy gardening!

  • 20 years ago

    Thank you to everyone who replied. We've just had our 1st Tornado touchdown of the the spring and tonight it is snowing. I love Ok but, I think I am ready to move. The Seattle area sounds awesome. I'll be coming up there in May and again over Labor Day to start looking at properties. I'm hoping to find something that already has an orchard and/or established garden in the 10-20 acre range. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. I work in the medical field, so I will need to be within driving range(?) of a hospital. I did have one other question. Because of the rain, I heard that it is really hard to grow soft fruits such as peaches and berries and that sort of thing. Is this true? The tomato and pepper thing is worrisome. Those are two of the biggest things we grow in OK! I love fresh tomatoes! Sonja

  • 20 years ago

    I don't know how familiar you are with the Seattle area, but much of the area has become a sprawling metropolis, which continues to grow along major commuter routes such as I-5 & I-90. It may be difficult, and perhaps undesirable to search for the type of property you had in mind within this immediate area, as land prices and property taxes can be astronomical. If it were me, I'd search in some of the more peaceful outlying areas near smaller towns such as Bellingham (North), Bremerton (West), Centralia (South). By the way, most berries grow exceedingly well around here, Peaches - not so much.
    Good Luck!

    Here is a link that might be useful: North

  • 20 years ago

    Berries are very easy to grow here. Tomatoes were a breeze in the warmer Seattle-proper area, but in the outskirts where you will find the acreage you desire, it often gets too cool at night without the help of a cold frame or heating mechanism. We gave up on tomatoes after several years after moving to the country; great numbers of tomatoes but they always blighted before ripening. Maybe someone else has other ideas to succeed. I get tomatoes at the farmers market- the cowards way out!

    There are many hospitals to choose from either in city,suburban, or rural. Just depends on how much traffic you want to contend with on your commute.

    Tornadoes and snow? Who needs them? Get a good rain jacket and head West!

  • 20 years ago

    Actually the general pattern is for the eastern half of the country to the wet one. Many eastern cities have higher annual precipitation than even "rainy" Seattle.

  • 20 years ago

    bboy, just for the record: we had 31 inches of rain here in January, an inch for each day, in my area. That doesn't count the two snows, or December and February rainfall, although those weren't quite so brutal. Different microclimates you know.

    Anyone incoming to our fair state would be well advised to talk to several locals and get the real scoop for that particular area as they can vary widely in just a few miles.

  • 20 years ago

    You will be moving to zone 8b and some areas even slightly milder. Not only do Rhodos grow well, but you will be moving to Trachycarpus fortunei territory. Some of the tallest and oldest Windmill palms in the PNW grow near Seattle and surrounding areas. Some of the plants you will be able to grow there will amaze you. It is a nice lush beautiful gardening Mecca! Take full advantage of that climate. Have fun, Banana Joe

  • 20 years ago

    Population patterns reflect climate, the built up areas of central Puget Sound (Seattle-Tacoma) have much less precipitation than the mountains. And even in the Olympic "rainforest" valleys precipitation falls off markedly in summer, unlike some eastern regions where feet of rain may fall in summer some years. Florida, for instance has the opposite precipitation curve of here. How would some of those who think it rains here alot react to the worst storms blowing in during the middle of summer?

  • 20 years ago

    Couple websites for you: The Rainyside Gardeners and The Westside Gardener. Both are Seattle area gardener oriented sites that will assist in your move and Rainyside (www.rainyside.com ) offers a lively forum for discussing our area with other plant freaks.

    The ground may wiggle, but the clouds seldom take houses.

    Tom

    Here is a link that might be useful: Westside Gardener

  • 20 years ago

    Hey Tommy, glad to see I'm not the only one with too much time on their hands - see you at Rainyside

    Gordo

  • 20 years ago

    I am sure you will come to love it here. We came from upper Minn. almost 50 yrs. ago and it is so nice not to shovel snow. Of course we do not live in the mts. We have a good veggie garden, with veggies, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, currents, and a few other type berries, apples and plums. Plus a lot of flower garden, with 32 roses, and hydrangeas, and other shrubs. We grow tomatoes yearly in our garden with no problem, last yr. we grew lovely brandywine type, a few got to 2 lb. per fruit. We also have several types of grapes. I am sure you will love it as many of us do, that is why this area seems to be growing in all areas.
    Darlene

  • 20 years ago

    You might have a longer commute, but many areas outside the 'big' cities have acreage that you desire. For lower taxes I'd suggest the Olympic Penninsula and south of it. Taxes can be killer in the metro areas as most of King and Pierce counties have high housing prices; close to $300K, and just a pockethankerchief lot.

    All the fruits and berries do well up here. USDA and WSU have an excellent extension program with Master Gardener clinics everywhere, every weekend. Washington ranks #1 in apple production and in the top 5 for most other fruits. For those who are not natives, we have a nickname for us that endure the WA mist; Mossbacks. Some call it the WA missed; missed Oregon and got us.

    One suggestion when you get up here; visit the Arboretum at the UW in Seattle. That will give to a taste of what varieties flourish here. Seattle is the Emerald City because from the air it's a city surrounded by green.

  • 20 years ago

    Whereas the city itself looks like a microchip: mostly gray rooftops and paving, same as other urban areas.

  • 20 years ago

    I've never gardened in the Seattle area, so not sure where would be the best area to attempt growing peaches. Because it is damper here, you need to spray for something called, "Peachtree Leaf Curl." Probably best to buy them in eastern Washington. The Yakima Valley, where I am originally from, is known for it's produce. Yummy peaches, cherries, apples and other good things. Very dry area, watered by irrigation mostly. It's in eastern Washington and a famous agricultural area.

    For tomatoes and peppers, you need to start from seed if you want some choice. A Seattle tomato growing friend starts her seeds in February and gets her first tomatoes in August I think. I start mine about the same time. I have a harder time growing bell peppers here that I do hot ones. Not sure why. Again, they should probably be started around the same time as the tomatoes, or maybe a bit sooner. Don't expect corn until August/September. Unless you go the Yakima Valley and get it in June.

    Finding ways to keep your warm weather crops warm, (especially at night) is often a good idea. Look for walls that would reflect heat into the growing space. You might plant in pots or soil next to a paved driveway. Walls of Water and hoop houses will help give your heat loving crops what they need. You'll have to monitor them to learn how to use them properly in your garden, but that won't be hard to learn.

    Melons are also harder to grow here. I don't know if they can be grown in the greater Seattle area without a greenhouse, hoop house or wall of water. And if you try, grow smaller ones.

    When you come out on a scouting mission, it might be worth it to stop at the Pike Place Market and talk with the market growers. We really can garden year round in the Pacific Northwest, food crops and ornamentals. People who have never been here before are almost always astonished at the variety.

    Summer evenings here are cooler than what you are used to. You can probably sleep comfortably without an air conditioner. Most folks I know don't use them. They can be nice to have during a warm summer day, but not usually a necessity.

    The Washington State University Extension Service and Master Gardeners would be worth checking on. I think WSU has a considerable amount on-line, so you can probably do some research before coming out.

    Roses and many kinds of flowers are magnificent here. Bulb plants are fabulous. Many ornamental trees, many veggies and fruits. The berries are great. Beans grow well here and all cool weather crops, like spinach, lettuces, broccoli, etc.

    Best wishes on a great move to the northwest.

    Mary