Software
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbgardening_gw

Yellow Jackets

19 years ago

Do any of you know approximately when the queens start their nest in our area? I saw a yellow jacket yesterday and I want to keep them from nesting near the house again. I know April and May are the months for some areas of the country, but I'm guessing it might be a little earlier for us. Thanks!

Comments (5)

  • 19 years ago

    I don't know but we had some success last year getting paper wasps to nest in inverted 3 gallon pots instead of in our mailbox, so I'll have to put it back down there before they start looking for a nest site again. Sometimes I did up some wasp in the resting stage when I am planting stuff much later than this. I've noticed some bugs starting to fly around lately.

  • 19 years ago

    Lucky it was paper wasps and not yellow jackets!
    I thought about using some gallon pots on trees for them to build their nest in. We get a bunch on our house. My dh doesn't like them there, but I tell him they're pretty docile and keep the worms out of my broccoli, so they can stay as far as I'm concerned.
    Yellow jackets are a different story though. I got chased down by a bunch of them one year after about the third pass over their nest with the mower, never realizing they were there since I had walked through there and had mowed there many times over that summer. They just get cranky at the end of the season. Last year they had a nest by the grape trellis, so I couldn't finish the last of the work on it. They have many acres of land they could use, so I don't want them around the house any more.

  • 19 years ago

    wsu.edu -

    "Life Cycle In the Pacific Northwest: yellow-jackets have annual colonies. The only colony members to overwinter are inseminated queens, which spend the winter in protected locations, such as under bark, in stumps and logs, and within stacks of firewood.

    The queens emerge during the first warm days of spring (as early as March and April), select a nest site, and build a small paper nest in which they lay their eggs. "

  • 19 years ago

    We bought this place in May 2005 and that first summer were infested with yellow jackets as we painted the house and prepped the yard for planting. So last February we put the yellow yellow jacket traps out and caught a bunch of queens. They were big and energetic. Last summer we didn't have yellow jackets! :-) Put that trap out this February. As of today no queens yet but they'll come. The Clackamas Costco last year had dozens of traps FULL last summer but haven't seen them hang any out yet so they don't know to capture the queens early.

    Those traps are so worth it!

    Our yard is already full of bees and bugs. Lots of water so swarming bugs clouding the air. The birds are happy pecking and eating.

  • 19 years ago

    Thank you everyone. I'll put out a trap and see what happens. I didn't see any but that one so far, but I suspect there are more around.
    We've had a lot of bird and insect activity too. I enjoy hearing the birds in the spring. They sure make a mess of my straw mulch I've been putting down to smother weeds,though. :) Lots of good eating I guess.