Software
Houzz Logo Print
rocket_girl_gw

Dear Sun

19 years ago

I miss you. I'm sick of cold and squishy ground. I'm tired of the color gray.

I've got all kinds of gardening chores to do, but I just can't get motivated to do them without you.

Please come back,

Rocket_Girl

Comments (25)

  • 19 years ago

    He was here just yesterday. Maybe you didn't look out the window at the right time.

  • 19 years ago

    He was here yesterday too, 3 minutes, 20 seconds, I might be fudging on the seconds. Bit the bullet today, spent a couple of hours pulling weeds out of the cold squishy ground.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    It's a great time to weed! They come up out of the soup so easy. :) I put on my rain coat and went out yesterday. I don't mind working in a light rain. I relocated my compost bins so they wouldn't be as visible as they were, a job I've wanted to get done since last year.
    We had some sun yesterday afternoon and on and off today, so not too bad.

  • 19 years ago

    I miss the sun too but at this point I will settle for no rain or just light showers! I have five more yards of compost/chicken and chips to move and the rain is really adding to it's weight! ratherbgardening is right about the weeds, they are coming out nice and easy, got lots done yesterday! I assume the sun will return on the days I have to work......

  • 19 years ago

    It has been sunny the last several days in Portland. Not bright fabulous sunny but it has been sunny.

    I dropped off catalogs at nurseries in the mornings and planted in the afternoons.

  • 19 years ago

    It's been cold, grey and overcast with periods of rain here on Vancouver Island. If I try to pull weeds, I end up with shoes that weigh 20 pounds each with all of the clay they have picked up. The stuff in the G/H isn't growing because of the lack of sun. According to the Met office, March in Vancouver has already had more than the month's worth of rain, 1/4 of the sunshine we average and we have 9 days of rain to go. Mr. Sun, I miss you too. Where's all this global warming when we need it?

  • 19 years ago

    Darker springs and dramatic weather events part of the expectation. It's not like turning the thermostat up in the house.

  • 19 years ago

    Taking a week off to get the garden cleaned up (finally!!) for the season and was hoping the weather could be just the slightest bit cooperative. I can tolerate gray, but I've had enuf cold and wet to last me until next November, thank you very much.

    Sun would be very nice, though. I am always a lot more energetic and get far more accomplished when the sun shines....tend to take a lot more "breaks" when it's cold, damp and gray.

  • 19 years ago

    I really need to get out there and pull weeds and clean the pond, but curling up with a blanket and reading sounds soooo much better today.

  • 19 years ago

    I thought only transplanted people like me are tired of this "new storm system developing off the coast" business.
    What is with all the rain and cold. 2 years ago I was visiting seattle in March, and it was warm and sunny, and I thought to myself, well this isnt so bad. Thus I was wooed and tricked into moving here, and now the gods of nature are laughing at their little joke. Well the war is on!!
    Vaishali

  • 19 years ago

    I'm beginning to think we should all be growing Rice.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    May I add my voice to this chorus? AAAAAAAAARGHH!!!! Think I am getting S.A.D. or maybe cabin fever. So many things to do out there and the grass needs mowing. It actually stopped raining for about 15 minutes today, like, whoopee. C'mon sun.....

  • 19 years ago

    Do you think we might come up with a bribe?

    Even my normally cheerful daffodils are drooping in all this. With no sun, they don't know which way to aim their faces!

  • 19 years ago

    Dear Rain,
    Although we appreciate what you do for us here in the Pacific Northwest by keeping us green and beautiful, there are other areas of the world that really need you right now. Please go - it is time for the sun to visit us.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Mary

    P.S. We prefer mist over down pours ~

  • 19 years ago

    Huh? It's been warm and sunny in Oregon City for over a week until, finally, this afternoon a little rain returned. My swamp trees need the rain, and I'm so grateful when it rains a lot, long sweet steady rain, so I don't feel guilty about not being out there watering.

    That cold weather keeps coming back though -- a few mornings ago the bird bath was frozen solid again. And now they're saying the middle of next week will turn very cold again. Already planted some grass seed, don't want any more freezes.

  • 19 years ago

    Please sun, I was pregnant last spring and summer and couldn't do much in my garden and pond. I'm begging you to come out soon, and when the baby is napping would be really appreciated.

  • 19 years ago

    Ok, I give up. I'm working on the plans for the new boatyard. Anyone know how long a cubit is?

  • 19 years ago

    What a lovely day this Saturday is! rain rain rain luscious life-giving wet rain. It has been raining all night. Cricklets are full again, frogs singing, birds splashing in the water. Sun, it's OK to come out now that the tree roots have been replenished with slurpy fresh moisture. Aaahhhhhh, drink up!

  • 19 years ago

    Hey - it's spring break here in Portland so I don't expect to see the sun for another week or so. My nine year old daughter is finally turning into the native Portlander that she is by playing outside in all but the hardest rain!

    Is there a way to save this thread so I can post it in October or so when I am sick of the drought and sun and am begging for rain rain rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • 19 years ago

    I've been outside for a couple of hours, all the plants are green, not grey, do you think it's because the SUN is actually shining, there's blue sky, and it's warm. I'm so in a trance from it all. I hope to get a lot done today, weed till I drop, this weather might not hold for very long. Just came in to make sure there's lots of Ibuprofen handy, I'm sure going to need it. LOL, I bet there won't be much of that tomorrow morning.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Bright and sunny here in Oregon City this morning after a 2-day soaking. The iris are growing fast straight up and the grass is getting longer lusher bushier by the minute. It's so much easier to ENJOY the warm sun after all the plants have had such a good drink!

    Muddysocks, I'm still sick of the drought and sun from the last 2 years' burning scorching endless long summers so I hear you! Permanently begging for rain here.

  • 19 years ago

    What a wonderful day! Sun is shining, I even got my DH out into the garden and we had to strip some sweaters off. Maybe there is hope?

  • 19 years ago

    All hail the sun!

    Wonderful day here and much accomplished. We are still clearing debris from the December wind storm. A big tree landed in my yard and took out 10 small alders as it came down, and the whole mess landed on my shrubs, so that corner of the garden is going to look rough for a long time. It's a bummer to look at, and double the bummer when the whole mess is icky wet and squishy.

    In addition to cleanup of the December disaster, many weeds were murdered and the daffodils are looking happy again.

    Please come back tomorrow, sun!

  • 19 years ago

    I don't mind the rain watering "my" plants, but does it have to water the weeds, too? They seem to have exploded this week. Grrr.

  • 19 years ago

    I think the sun also follows the work week. Out from Monday-Friday and off on Sat anad Sun. Well Dear Sun cant you change your work week?
    Vaishali