Software
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Abutilon Questions

20 years ago

Yesterday was my anniversary and rather than buying one long stemmed rose per year (33) as is my customary routine, I decided on a couple of gorgeous Abutilon megapotanicum 'Variegata' hanging baskets.

We have a deck/pergola that is built into the rocks at the edge of our pond where we usually start with hanging two large million bells baskets and then have to replace them to make it through till frost, so my thinking was that perhaps these abutilons could make it all the way through the season. The spot is in pretty much full sun but the pergola has a wisteria growing over it and a sunscreen fabric so I was hoping that whatever conditions these need outdoors, I could accomodate. Since I am still somewhat of a neophyte, I tried to do my homework but now that I've got them home, I'm a little unsure about what it is they need to make them happy. I've got them sitting temporarily on my stereo speakers but I don't have a lot of direct light areas indoors to give them a lot of sunlight.

How soon can they safely be transferred out doors ? The info I've found on them is pretty vague as to what they actually prefer...... full sun, filtered sun or under a covered porch. Do I need to transfer them back and forth initially for warm days and cool nights? Is there a particular type of fertilizer that I should be using to optimize the bloom? These are gorgeous 2 1/2' diameter baskets and are loaded with buds and I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to accomodate them but I sure hope that doesn't mean I mistakenly bought houseplants only :-( I've got way too much going on outside to be having to come inside to enjoy them!

Any help would be muchly appreciated !!!!!!

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    I think they'd be okay outside now or maybe wait until May to be entirely safe. It kind of depends on what conditions they were in where you bought them. If they were in a pampered, real warm greenhouse type situation they'll need to be acclimated to the outdoors. Start by putting them out for part of the day in a shaded, sheltered from wind spot. Then gradually introduce them to the elements a little more over the next two weeks. They can take quite a bit of cold, although frost in a container would probably do them in. If they get enough water and fertilizer through the growing season, they'll flower for a really long time.

  • 20 years ago

    Sam covered all the basics of care and acclimation well.

    I just wanted to let you know I have the yellow variety and my container plant stayed on the covered deck, in a protected corner, for most of the winter. When our temps dropped to the 20's I moved it into the unheated shop next to a window. I noticed in Feb. that it was forming flower buds! I moved it back to the deck a few weeks ago, pruned it, and it's now putting out new leaves.

    I really enjoy this plant since it blooms all summer and into late fall. I think you made a great choice!

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks so much guys, I love these little critters and since I posted the inquiry they have doubled in blooms. They just fit so well in that pondside spot with the leaf variegation and the bloom color. My wife and I sit in two swivel chairs on this deck and the main waterfall falls into the pond right below and between where these will hang.

    Do you have a preference for a fertilizer for these or do you just use a general purpose ? I usually just took the other ones down and gave them a good periodic spray of Peter's and let them sit and drain awhile so I didn't have to worry about them dripping into the pond and bothering the Koi. I just planted a couple of planters of supertunias and bacopa to cascade over the rocks into the pond right beneath where they will hang so now I won't have to worry about the fish as much.

    Thanks again!

  • 20 years ago

    Here in Olympia they will survive most winters outdoors. I have a number, A. megatapomicum and others, that have lived on the deck for years. There is a house here that has A. megapotamicum growing up through the trees, they must be 10 or 12 feet tall, they have been there for years. Very pretty.

    Abutilon are some of my favorite plants. There are a number of types out there with different growth habits, foliage, flower types and colors. There is even a lavender-flowered tree-type, you can see a gorgeous specimen at Heronswood.

    You may have to search for them a bit, but they are worth it!

    Enjoy!

    Cathy
    Olympia

  • 20 years ago

    Has anyone ever had luck with cuttings, if so what is better water or rooting hormone?

  • 20 years ago

    I used to do cuttings all the time, they're really easy. I just strip the lower foliage off, dip them in Rootone and put them in Vermiculite. I haven't taken cuttings in a while, but I seem to recall that it takes them only a couple of weeks to develop roots. I've never tried them in water.

    Cathy

  • 20 years ago

    I have a couple in the house and they bloom year round even in low light. I give them Ironite Plus a couple of times a year and in the summer Ocmocote mixed with Vigoro 12-5-7.