Software
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Ivy

19 years ago

I have about 80' of 5'&6' high Kelly Block wall that I want to mute. Kelly Block is like ecology block with a patterned front. The wall has a bed above/behind it and a bed below/in front. It is capped with a 2'row of red pavers. The plan is to use a combination of shrubs in front of, ivy growing on, and trailers above. I don't really need the ivy to completely cover the concrete, just make it more interesting.

I know zip about ivy accept that if you choose the wrong one, you will most likely live to regret it. I'm going for that "freeway look" like you see on the concrete structures say on I-5 through Seattle or 405 through the S-curves in Renton. I'm assuming the reds and oranges I'm seeing are Boston type ivy but.....?

I don't really want it to extend over the cap because I use it to walk on so I don't have to always go through the bed. One of the maybe redundant questions I find myself asking is a)do you plant it below so it can grow up or b)do you have to plant it above so it grows down. I'm hoping the answer is either a) or c)your choice :-)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

  • 19 years ago

    Hedera smells, provides cover for rats and starlings and spreads to where it is not wanted. If draping is the objective various other creeping plants will do that also, other easily located and grown choices might include creeping Taiwan raspberry, bearberry, bearberry cotoneaster, and creeping ('Repens') willowleaf cotoneaster.

  • 19 years ago

    I've planted many varieties of miniature ivies so they'll creep up cottage stone retaining walls and I'll train them in patterns. Also just put in some Algerian ivy. The other plant that will climb up concrete is euonymous fortunei. Put some varieties of that along extensive 150' of retaining wall. Read that miniature ivy is slower and not invasive like English Ivy.

    Last year planted several varieties of vinca. This spring they have exploded! Very lush growth, spreading, pretty flowers. They are trailing down the retaining walls. I also walk along the tops of the walls so am being careful not to step on the vinca until it roots down below.

    I wanted evergreen coverings to climb UP the walls. Only 2 plants, ivies & euonymous fortunei, do this, or so I've read.

    bboy, do you know of any others?

  • 19 years ago

    I tried posting this before, screwed up as usual, hit something I shouldn't have and everything disappeared. :o( How about Parthenocissus henryana, Silvervein Creeper, clings to walls but needs some support to get started. It's not evergreen but very attractive, turns a lovely color in the fall.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I was definitely thinking of parthenocissus over hedera. I don't really want the thick clump covering, more the veined espaliered look.

  • 19 years ago

    I have regretted every Ivy I have ever planted and I have only planted dwarfs and now have a sizeable job ridding myself of it.

    Just for the Heck of it, I planted an ornamental dwarf ivy (Yellow and green leaves with red stems) at the base of a red leaved Norway Maple. Thug against thug. Vinca minor was then planted in a circle around the tree to contain the spread of the Ivy. It could only go up. This was about 20 years ago. It has worked just fine except for one problem I hadn't figured on. The Ivy produced seeds that reverted back to normal English Ivy and are coming up all over. Time to cut the whole works down!

  • 19 years ago

    I have to agree with Botann. I inherited some ornamental ivy, with a small, varigated leaf and though it is a tad slower than English Ivy it is still a major pest and difficult to control. I wouldn't plant any ivy! All of the plants mentioned so far are a much better alternative.

  • 19 years ago

    cascadians,

    There are other plants that will climb walls. Climbing Hydrangeas and the cousins Boston Ivy and Virginia Creeper. None of these are invasive like Hedera cultivars are.