Software
Houzz Logo Print
juudyshouse2012

Plant ID - sedum???

19 years ago

This is a fast spreading ground cover that has yellow flowers all over it in the summer, turns a reddish brown in the fall and then dies back in the winter.

I think it's some kind of sedum, but can't find a picture anywhere to identify it.

Follow the link below to see pictures of it right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unidentified plant

Comments (13)

  • 19 years ago

    It looks and sounds like my Sedum spurium 'Two row stonecrop'
    Except mine has pink flowers.
    I hope someone will come along with an answer for you. I'm curious now too. :-)

    Joy (pnwjoy)

  • 19 years ago

    Might be Sedum kamtschaticum, check the link below and compare.

    A......

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum

  • 19 years ago

    Unfortunately, I don't think it's either of those. It only grows 2"-3" tall and the leaves never get that large. They always stay in a rosette shape just like they are now. The only similar things is that the flowers do look like those. But, the leaves don't have that true succulent form. Ugh! I have looked and looked and can't find it!!!

  • 19 years ago

    See if you can match it to something on the link below. you've got me curious now too.

    A......

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum Photo's

  • 19 years ago

    Okay, so I went through the entire list on Wayne's sedum website. Some really cool stuff!! But, I still couldn't find something that looked exactly like mine with a yellow flower. It does look similar to a spurium, but I didn't see any with yellow flowers.

    So, I emailed Wayne with some pictures. Hopefully, he'll get back to me soon. I'll keep you posted!!

    Thanks,
    Judy

  • 19 years ago

    Your pics look similar to some of my excellent groundcover; I've always thought it to be the native Oregon sedum (Sedum oreganum). Mine doesn't die all the way back so much as to turn reddish in winter, but quickly greens up my Feb/Mar.

    Check the link below. There are 2 photos there to compare.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Could it be PNW Native: Sedum oreganum???

  • 19 years ago

    I believe it's one of the spuriums - could be 'John Creech.'

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Judy, let's try this one, Sedum Hybridum 'Czar's Gold'.

    A......

    Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum hybridum 'Czar's Gold'

  • 19 years ago

    See what I mean??? Okay, here's my take with the ones you've suggested.

    The Sedum hybridum 'Czar's Gold' has the yellow flowers, but the leaves are much larger, longer and pointier than mine. And it also says that it's evergreen and it blooms in May-June and then again in the fall. Mine definitely does not do that.

    The 'John Creech' looks a lot like it, but the leaves are much lighter green than mine, and I haven't seen it anywhere online with yellow flowers, just pink.

    The Sedum oreganum's leaves are too fat and succulent. And it is supposed to be evergreen, which what I have is definitely not evergreen.

    Maybe my growing conditions are not the same as what we're looking at online and that's why it doesn't look the same. All I know is that mine are prolific so I think they should look like the pictures online.

    Sorry everybody, I don't mean to be difficult :), but this has been my problem since I started searching. Maybe Wayne from Sedumphotos.net will get back to me with some info.

    Keep the suggestions coming, if you find anything new.
    Judy

  • 19 years ago

    Judy, try posting this on the Name That Plant forum, Rock and Alpine & Cactus & Succulent forums. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there. I'll keep looking. Good Luck.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I posted it on "groundcovers" and I just checked and someone suggested it might be Sedum kamtschaticum. I looked it up and it does look pretty good, except it seems like the leaves are much larger. Maybe I'm forgetting how big the leaves get as it grows. The description is exactly the same as far as flower, leaves changing to reddish brown and then being a perennial.

    I will take your suggestion though and put it on the Rock Gardens & Alpine and Cactus & Succulent, too.

  • 19 years ago

    Judy, bring a piece of it to the Issaquah plant swap. Lisa(aka sedum gal) or Kellie will be able to tell you what it is. I have it growing in my yard also, so it must be very common. I can't keep track of the sedums myself, there are just too many of them. Karen

  • 19 years ago

    I finally found out the name of the sedum.

    I contacted Wayne from www.sedumphotos.net and he referred it to his expert in England who identified it as a Phedimus hybridus. It was formerly known as Sedum hybridum and most people still call it that.

    Thank you all for helping me with this.
    Judy