Software
Houzz Logo Print
sea_jen

what is your fig tree doing now? mid-April

19 years ago

I bought and planted a fig tree in early March. I'm concerned that it shows no signs of life - no leaves, not even discernable buds.

Is this typical or is something wrong?

I'd suspect it was a dud, but it's had a good life. It was from Molbaks (a reputable nursery), I planted it the day I bought it, and it's in a raised bed filled with two feet of Cedar Grove topsoil.

Comments (11)

  • 19 years ago

    Not much. If yours is dead it will look it, instead of having live buds and live stems, with a bright green appearance.

  • 19 years ago

    My atreano has just a few buds that are beginning to swell while most of it's buds still look hard and "dead". I panicked the first year....give it some time. Different varieties leaf out later or earlier. I wouldn't give up yet. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    Our Desert King is still dormant, only a few buds beginning to swell. They are late to leaf out.

  • 19 years ago

    Our fig, also from Molbaks sounds like yours. I was just checking it out yesterday and saw a few buds starting. What are the chances of getting figs the first year?

  • 19 years ago

    Bought one this spring too, Lattarula (Italian Honey Fig), and it isn't doing anything yet either. It's cold again today. Think new plants are laying low until they figure out what season this crazy weather is. Hailing now. Sugar maple, green ash are also really slow now, just barely bud-swelling. Those 2 really hot days brought out the purple robe locust and the mimosas are beginning to swell finally. Still wondering if some things are alive. The astilbe is flourishing and coming up thick!

  • 19 years ago

    I potted up a Violette de Negronne in mid Feb (mail order, Trees of Antiquity). The terminal bud has been breaking for three weeks now, ever so slowly. I can see there are two baby leaves that are about the size of a toddler's pinky nail clipping. This is taking forever.

    I visited my brother in Phoenix in early March. His one year old fig is a freakin' tree, and was leafing out and budding out a breba crop already. *Jealousy*

    I'm hoping that it will take off once warm weather really sets in.

  • 19 years ago

    I wish I could answer this question. We have a fig tree in the backyard of our new home in Poulsbo, WA, however we haven't moved yet, so I don't know what it's doing--but I sure am curious! We're going to be there for the last two weeks of April and can't wait to see what's blossoming and budding at our new house. There's also a large Mimosa tree in the yard and I'm so curious about what it looks like in spring and summer. We're moving to the PNW from Orlando, FL, and are really looking forward to being able to garden again!

  • 19 years ago

    I haven't looked up close at the buds but mine haven't leafed out either. Last year my smallest finally got a few figs and then dropped them all.:-( It tried again but had a hard time trying to ripen them before fall.

    I'm more worried about the pear trees which are blooming in the rain. 2 years ago I got about 0 pears under those circumstances. I might try getting some plastic sheets and covering a couple of trees and attempting some pollination with a brush.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks so much for the info, All. I'll keep encouraging it!

  • 19 years ago

    My Atreano started but did not ripen any figs until it's third year in the ground. At years 3 and 4 it ripened its breba crop but not its second crop (except for 1 or 2 figs). The # of figs has increased dramatically each year....far beyond the size increase in the tree. Don't give up if it doesn't ripen any figs until it has a few years in your ground. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    After a really slow start the baby Lattarula we planted this spring is growing well now. It was a tiny little stick. It got 1 fig but we accidentally brushed it off with the hose. Just glad to see it making leaves and branches! Hoping this becomes a big luscious tree. Their leaves when dense are so exotic.