Software
Houzz Logo Print
esobofh

Compost Materials - Newspaper

19 years ago

Ok, now i'm getting garden-web greedy - 2 questions in as many minutes hehe :)

I've got a large 3 compartment compost box built and i'm in my first year, filling the first compartment. In my previous compost (at a different location) I found it quite easy to build good, high quality compost that heated up and worked very fast. (So fast and hot in fact, meat could be composted safely).

In this new box, the materials don't seem to be composting as readily and the box is more of a cold/vermiculture compost. In the new location i don't have a good carb/nitrogen mix as I have mostly nitrogen additives (grass, vegetable scraps etc.) My thinking is that I need a carbohydrate food source to generate the microbial heat required to kill seeds and pathogens.

Lacking straw, hay or leaves, is newspaper a viable source of the carbs required to do this? I get 3 newspapers delivered every week and they just go right into the recycle bin.. might as well be putting them in the compost if it will work.

The link below shows the compost bin - perhaps my design is the core of the problem?

thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost Bin

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Columbus High Quality Painting Expert