Software
Houzz Logo Print
uintahguy

Suggestions for a bermed planting bed

20 years ago

Hi,new member here. I bought a home on Kent's east hill last summer - badly neglected small yard. I'm fairly new to the PNW, and new to landscaping/gardening in this zone.

I'm planning on putting a bermed planting bed at the front of my yard along the sidewalk. I'm at the mouth of a cul-du-sace, just at it starts to widen. The bed will be an L shape of sorts, about 30 ft long along the length of the "L", and another 15' at the foot of the "L". The width will vary from 6 ft to 10 ft. It will be on the west side of the house, so full sun. I'd like some suggestions on what to plant. I'd like to keep the trees about 20'-30' in height at maturity, with a mix of evergreens and deciduous trees. I'd like a natural look, not formal, and not a sea of bark either. So suggestions for under story plants are needed as well. I'd also like to plant something more unusual than what I see in the typical PNW landscape - in other words the rhodies and magnolias will all be in the side and back yards. :)

I do like the upright Japanese Maples, but again, they seem very common here. Do the Coral Bark's keep the red bark year round? Also, what evergreens would not exceed 30ft, and stay fairly narrow in growth, besides Arborvitae?

A lot of questions - a lot to learn....

Thanks,

UintahGuy

Comments (3)