Software
Houzz Logo Print
goofyisgreen

Recently salvaged natives -- advice

19 years ago

I recently went to a plant salvage at a construction site and picked up several evergreen huckleberries, salal, a sword fern, an oregon grape.

Not too worried about the sword fern.

Interested in people's advice/experience in transplanting the above. The huckleberries I've put in both sunny/shady sites (I know shady is better), everything else is in mostly shady.

Unfortunately, whole yard is pretty dry--in root run or canopy (or both) of many giant Doug Firs

Comments (7)

  • 19 years ago

    Our community is restoring a native ravine. A few weeks ago, we moved some oregon grape and ferns and they're doing pretty well. Of about 10 plants moved, we lost two -- but we didn't do any supplemental watering. Just left it to the rain.

    Last year, another group re-planted some salal and huckleberry and most of it seems to be doing okay, though I'm not sure how much was originally planted. But I do know they get no special care once they're moved. All are in shade or semi-shade.

  • 19 years ago

    someone once told me that salal doesn't take to moving very well. let me know if it survives. i have a couple small patches that i would like to move.

    also, i thought the thick waxy leaves would be immmune to getting munched on but something in my garden loves it.

  • 19 years ago

    Goofy - how did you find out about the plant salvage? I want to do one of those!

  • 19 years ago

    Found out thru a newsletter thru relavtive's employer--it was a big construction site in South Sound--20+ acres. It was not
    publicized in media but my read was it was a "goodwill generating" gesture by the construction company. They basically said come and get it for 4 fours on a Saturday--I was thinking for every plant someone attempts to salvage, probably 100,000 are going to be destoyed, which is sad.

    Then you have the salvage choices. I told a couple a saw not to bother digging up a 5 foot tall Madrona (they are almost impossible to transplant successfully, even from 1 foot) but they ignored my suggestion, so they'll lug it home (instead of something they could've salvaged) and almost certainly have it croak by end of summer. I saw another lady hauling off a 12 foot tall dogwood.

    My scorecard:
    5 evergreen huckleberries, 3 small (under 30 inches), I think 2 will make it. The 2 bigger ones (one 3 feet trimmed back, the other probably 4 feet) I'll be holding my breath on (and water at least 2x week) until summer ends.
    1 Sword Fern: I predict success--looks great, & lavished with coffee grounds and "ZooDoo"
    Salal: I'm not sure how this will do. I grabbed 4, 1 will definitely make it in a protected spot (windscreened, will only get summer sun), 1 definitely won't. I'm guessing 2 out of 4.
    Oregon Grape: 1 salvaged, looks great. It's about 30 inches tall, will be babied, and I think it'll do fine.
    Mistake people make is getting TOO BIG A PLANT. I'd say if you grab any plant (especially large ones), you must make sure you get most of a good, well-established root system, otherwise, don't bother.

    GOOFY

  • 19 years ago

    The only advice I have is for the huckleberries. When you plant them, add some wood waste to the planting hole -- it would be best if you picked up some rotting wood that would have been near where they were growing. They will definitely prefer a shady spot.

  • 19 years ago

    I agree, getting a good root system is critical. I've had very good success with salal, 50% with huckleberries, nearly 100% with sword ferns, and poor success with Oregon Holly Grape. I don't usually water much after planting and all of them are in a few feet of large cedars, but I transplant only in spring or fall. My huckleberry has blossoms now.:-)

  • 19 years ago

    A small amount of mulch may be the single most important thing that you can do.

    Keep the roots moist.

    I use a small wooden dowel inserted in the root ball, to monitor moisture, but pulling it out occassionally.

    A moisture meter can fail, but the wooden dowel / sticks don't lie.