Software
Houzz Logo Print
westgate_gw

alfalfa pellets

19 years ago

I live on the Sunshine Coast (North of Vancouver) and have been trying to find alfalfa pellets..... no luck so far. Anyone know where I could locate some in this area?

Comments (11)

  • 19 years ago

    I don't know if you guys have Wal-Mart up there? If you do, I get them in the pet dept. Try looking in the pet dept. of other places if you don't have Wal-Marts. Or try feed stores. Good luck.

  • 19 years ago

    I always think of them as being horse feed but you are right that you can buy them as rabbit or guinea pig food too.

  • 19 years ago

    I saw some at our local Buckerfields.

  • 19 years ago

    Are you looking for alfalfa pellets for your plants? I've been told that you should use alfalfa meal rather than pellets because of the coating on the pellets. Something about it not breaking down properly in the soil.

  • 19 years ago

    Whitney's makes alfalfa for the garden. Rabbit food usually has salt in it and that isn't good for your plants. Alfalfa meal is alkaline and shouldn't go on ferns and can turn a beautiful blue hydrangea sort of a muddy mauve color.

  • 19 years ago

    Hi guys ~ The pellets I get at Wal-Mart are: 'Rainbow Alfalfa Pellets - Natural Food Supplement - Sun-cured Alfalfa - No additives.' I get them at the Port Orchard one.

  • 19 years ago

    sorry,.... we don't have a Wal Mart. I wonder if I should try a pet store (No Buckerfields or feed stores here, either!) I wouldn't bother, but people seem to feel it is really beneficial to roses. I have almost pure sand in my garden , amend it as much as I can, but I thought the alfalfa would add humus as well as nutrients. Any comments?

  • 19 years ago

    Have you tried any local nurseries? The organically-minded west coast seems to offer a pretty wide selection of organic fertilizers and amendments and alfalfa meal is typically included in the mix. It is packaged and sold by a fair number of fertilizer manufacturers and is pretty easily found online or by mail order if not available locally.

    Alfalfa meal (or pellets) is made from fermented alfalfa and is considered a slow release low nutrient source with an NPK of 3-1-2 (generally). Its biggest plus is the naturally occurring growth hormone it contains, tricontanol, as well as the microbes that are present as a result of the fermentation process - these factors are reputed to encourage larger, more profuse flowering and increased cold and disease resistance. Rosarians do swear by it, especially if applied in the form of alfalfa tea.

    Other than a compost mulch, alfalfa - or rather its partially digested presence in the form of rabbit manure - is the only fertilizer I use in my garden and primarily only on roses and clematis (and other so-called "heavy feeders"). I'm not sure if it can be attributed to only the bunny poo, but my roses and clematis thrive and bloom heavily and are pretty well disease-free.

    Humus is the ultimate end product of a composting process - adding alfalfa meal or pellets will have little effect on the quantities of measurable humus in your soil.

  • 19 years ago

    This is the first year I've used alfalfa pellets on the roses and it is really amazing. Just don't do what I did and put it on too thick - it ferments and stinks - I didn't know how much to use so I put about a half bucket down around each rose. I later read to use a cup or two. I get it at any place called a feed store - there are feed stores in the suburbs, anywhere people have horses.

  • 19 years ago

    A product which is becoming popular is Certified Organic "Alfalfa Green", which is 100% pure alfalfa pellets for lawn and gardens. Alfalfa Green is steam processed which eliminates any weed-seed or pathogen viability. Animal feed pellets may be compressed meal, which could introduce weed seeds to your garden. You can check the company's website www.wamcoltd.ca to see where it is sold. I know it's in Choices in Vancouver...
    Just something to consider when looking to buy alfalfa. It's an amazing product - my lawn is the nicest on my block.

  • 19 years ago

    Contact Soulutions of Sustenance and Ruchel would be able to help you in the Vancouver/coastal BC area. She's a distributor for Alfalfa Green and was just at the Organic Islands Festival on July 7 and 8th.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Soulutions of Sustenance

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting