Software
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_grow

Planning for a garden tour

19 years ago

I was asked to be on a garden tour this summer - end of June. I should have lots of flowers in our extensive perennial beds so that is ok.

At first I was really flattered and thrilled. I am looking forward to a couple of days with nice garden visitors as I do love wandering around and talking about gardens. However, now I'm getting stressed about how to get ready.

For instance. I have tons of lady's mantle which I have been shearing back. Once it blooms it gets leggy so I'm trying to delay it.

Can I delay columbine for a month by cutting the bud stalk back? How about day lillies or roses?

I figure we should mow twice. Once a few days ahead and then if it's raining the day before it's still passable.

Of course, weeding & deading up to the time of

Personally, I like tags w/ names of plants although I know they distract from the garden for some folks. I think I'm going to add some more as I get a chance. My husband loves the garden & putters around on his own projects (mowing & hardscapes!) but is afraid that someone will ask the name of a plant that he does't know.

Oh, by the way, it's supposed to be organic & sustainable so I'm not going to water unless we get a real drought. Can't tell you how glad I was to have a rainy weekend!

I have some pots w/ hostas & succlents in them which I move around as holes develop in the garden.

Does anyone have a timeline for getting their garden/yard to peak for a wedding or tour? Any ideas?