Software
Houzz Logo Print
sammie070502_gw

Bletilla needs help growing ABOVE ground

20 years ago

I planted a bletilla a few years ago in an area that receives a bit of direct sun, but mostly dappled shade and high, bright shade. It gets ambient water plus some additional and is planted in an area that is happily shared by ferns, hostas, cyclamen, arisaema (rampant growth on the cyclamen and European ginger). It was small when first planted (2-3 inch pot) and I didn't know what to expect from it. Well, it hasn't flowered and it doesn't produce much in the way of leaves--fewer than when I first planted it.

But when I see what has been going on underground! The thing is huge. The crown looks like it would fill a 2-3 gallon pot with ease--I haven't excavated it completely, but when I brush away the soil, it looks very healthy and hearty and green and happy. It just doesn't want to do any growing or flowering on top of the soil.

What should I do? I've looked for info on the internet and thought that I'd done a pretty good job siting the plant. Then again, most of the info I found wasn't really geared for the PNW.

The only thing I've found is that it may need more sun, but the grower from whom I purchased it pretty much OK'd my plans for siting it. And I never thought about dividing it, because not alot was happening above ground. What do you think? Anyone with personal experience?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting