Software
Houzz Logo Print
drtdgr

Planting Native Garden

20 years ago

I have a vacant lot (1 acre) in Grapeview that I will eventually build on . It is close by Case Inlet and has a stream in the back. The stream is down a steep bank and the back of my lot is designated wetlands. For now, I would like to plant a privacy screen (my neighbor is planning to build soon) and keep invasives under control. I would also like to camp on the lot in the summer and eventually have a picnic table, fire pit, etc. on the front of the lot.

There are a lot of deer there so for now whatever I plant will be native. I will have water this year but no hook up at this time. I would be putting in any plants in the fall anyway to take advantage of the rain, since I only go up there twice a month.

I have a patch of Himalalyn blackberries in the middle of the property which I have been cutting down. The roots are down in a tangle of fallen trees. I sprayed Round Up on the stumps that were cut.

The front of the lot, in which I would like to put in a privacy screen on the property line, consists of grasses, weeds, and native blackberries. It has a southeast exposure, no trees or shrubs.

I would like to continue to keep this as a "meadow" with some additions of wildflowers and native grass. The soil is sandy and well-draining.

Roughly the middle of the lot has huckleberries, a few Douglas firs, one big-leaf maple, alder, a couple of western hemlock, and lots of sword fern. There are some natural paths in there, but I would like to put in some wood chips to make the going smoother. I also have lots of native blackberries in this area.

The back of the lot has outstanding mature big leaf maples, wild cherry, and on and at the edge of the steep streambank; trilliums, vanilla leaf, I believe false solomon's seal, and naturally plentiful sword fern. There is also devil's club in a couple of spots.

Any suggestions for a hedgerow for a privacy screen? I am also thinking of bringing in some type of amendment for the front of the lot in order to smother weeds and make it smoother. I do have a driveway in the front.

I want to keep the blackberries under control also and am thinking of planting salmonberry and red-twig dogwood where I remove them.

I appreciate any advice!

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    Sounds like a fabulous spot, I'm envious. One suggestion, for the privacy screen, since the area is so natural, I would try to keep it informal and natural as well. Avoid a straight hedge of one type of plant, try to use groups (5-10 or more in each group) of different species, interweaving and overlapping, not in a straight line. Hopefully there is space to accomodate this. Have fun!

  • 20 years ago

    You will need to decide if you want evergreen/deciduous, height, and how much maintenance you want to devote to the hedgerow. I like the previous recommendation for a mix of species. On my property, after clearing, natural vegetation such as salmonberry, thimbleberry, & snowberry have regrown to form a thicket or hedgerow, which can be easily cut back if needed.

  • 20 years ago

    A mix of serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) and beaked hazelnut (Corylus cornuta) might make a nice, edible, hedgerow with varying heights and textures. Sure would draw the wildlife.

  • 20 years ago

    Would Oregon Grape work? I have a "Woodland Glade" area that is natural and I love it! MIne is much drier and shadier than yours though. There are a few Holly trees seeding themselves in it. If yours allows it, the native bleeding heart, trilliums, fawn lily -- all plants that bloom in the springtime and then go dormant in the summer. I'm trying to add to my woodland glade too.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I love my little piece of paradise. Took me months to find just the right piece of land.
    I like the suggestion of groups of plants. The hazelnut and serviceberry sound perfect for the spot. I also have Nootka rose and ninebark that I will add to the hedgerow.

    The addition of tall Oregon grape would be great also as an evergreen.

    Susan

  • 20 years ago

    To do battle against Himalayan blackberry, you will want to add evergreens - shading them out will make them weaker. You don't say if this is sun or shade but if it's mostly sunny, consider California Wax Myrtle, Myrica californica. It's fast growing with a great scent (when brushed or crushed). Its fruits will feed many birds. Evergreen huckleberry, Vaccinium ovatum, is one of my favorite evergreen natives, heck, it's one of my favorite shrubs, native or not. It is slow growing but always good looking. Don't forget the lower growing Oregon grape (the tall form sometimes gets "bare knees"), Mahonia nervosa. You could always transplant a few sword ferns there, too. They can tolerate sun and drier conditions more than any other fern. I have seen them in full sun, although that's not what I generally recommend for them.

    As for deciduous shrubs to add, these are all great for birds plus they help provide a long season of interest - Indian plum (Oemlaria cerasiformis), red & blue elderberries (Sambucus racemosa, S. cearulea), oceanspray (Holodiscus discolor) and, IMO, every garden needs red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum).

    The above are native to the region. To find out more about natives specific to your area, contact the native plant society for Oregon or Washington (I don't know where Grapeview is). The publication listed in the link below includes all of the plants suggested (by others and me), except for the elderberries and beaked hazelnut. Detailed information, such as planting tips and cultural care, is included for each plant.

    One last bit of advice - try not to disturb the soil too much to avoid turning up more weed seeds (Himalayan blackberry for sure).

    I recall an article about a couple in Philomath (I believe that's the right town, it was in the Corvallis area) who revived and maintained a native meadow on their property. It had great information and tips to do this that didn't include burning as a weed control. It was in The Oregonian, written by Kym Pokorny about 1-2 years ago (maybe longer). I'll bet The Oregonian Archive desk could help you locate it. All I can recall is that the owners found mowing at critical times helped reduce the non-natives and promote the natives. I think it had to do with timing of flowering and seeding (the natives finished first). Mowing helped distribute native plant seeds and discouraged non-natives. Sorry, I can't remember more.

    Good luck! Your property sounds idyllic.

    Here is a link that might be useful: The Berry Botanic Garden Guide: Gardening for Wildlife, native plant flashcards

  • 20 years ago

    Lisa, thanks for the information. I really like ribes and huckleberries myself. I've got lots of huckleberries on my lot, just not on the property line! The neighbor took out the small trees that were growing between our lots - no great loss.

    The myrtle sounds good too - in the front third of the lot I have full sun.

    I have grown to appreciate Indian plum for its early flowers in March.

    The article on the native meadow sounds interesting. I will try to find it.

    BTW, Grapeview is between Belfair and Shelton in Washington. It was named Grapeview because the early settlers planted yes, grapevines and had wineries.

    I know there's a lot of birds that would appreciate berries.

    I have two snags I can't remove because there are pileated woodpeckers. Susan